Mar 23, 2010, 3:06 PM EDT
Before things get out of hand and the allegations start to fly out of
control, let’s clear some things up on the news from today that U.S.
Marshals and steroid investigators have gathered at the Washington
Capitals’ training facility.
According to sources, the Capitals’ facility
was not ‘raided’ or ‘descended upon’ by federal authorities looking to
tear the place upside down in a search for steroids. Far, far from that
in fact. A number of sheriff’s office investigators, assisted by U.S.
Marshal authorities, have met at the training facility merely looking
to talk with some players and team officials.
The investigation is
a carry over from last year’s arrest of Richard Thomas, who was charged
with possessing anabolic steroids with intent to sell. Thomas said he
was using the drugs so that he could ‘look like Arnold Schwarzenegger‘ and that he was selling steroids to
players for the NHL, NFL and MLB. He specifically mentioned the
Washington Capitals and the Washington Nationals.
More after the jump.
for the NHL took action based on the statements, and nothing further
came from the allegations. No specific players were named and it seemed
as though Thomas was just looking to try and bring down anyone he could
as he was legally buried with over $200,000 in illegal steroids. He also
claimed to be ‘the largest steroid dealer in Central Florida’.
Dr. Douglas Nagel, a chiropractor in the Virginia and Washington, D.C.
area was arrested in connection with the case, with detectives saying
the he has been purchasing steroids from Thomas for at least a year.
According to Melissa Liberman of WTSP.com:
Thomas said Nagel told him that he worked with professional athletes
area and that the doctor boasted about supplying steroids to these
athletes. The teams Thomas said Nagel supplied steroids to are the
Washington Nationals and the Washington Capitals.
Nagal’s wife, Jan, said in a brief phone interview that her husband
did not sell steroids. She denied he ever treated members of the
Nationals, and declined to comment on whether he had treated any
According to the arrest affidavit for Richard Thomas, he had been
supplying steroids to clients all over the U.S. via FedEx and USPS.
Nagel has several patients on the Capitals and Nationals, but that
does not mean he had been supplying steroids to the players.
It’s certainly an incredible coincidence that a dealer stated nearly
a year ago, very specifically, pointed out the Capitals and Nationals
as teams that he had been indirectly supplying, and a chiropractor with
patients on both teams is then arrested for purchasing steroids from the
same dealer. It certainly seemed to be a baseless allegation last year,
but now there’s a possibility he could have been speaking the truth.
We’ll update you with the statement from the team as soon as we can.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (78)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games