Mar 23, 2010, 6:05 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau was on 93.7 The Fan earlier today in advance of
tomorrow night’s EPIC matchup between the Penguins and Capitals, and
among a wide variety of topics he discussed the reputations of both
Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin. Specifically, he was asked whether
Ovechkin’s suspensions have tarnished his reputation at all.
Via Dan Steinberg’s DC Sports Blog:
Pittsburgh, maybe,” Boudreau cracked. “Look, we all love him here in
Washington. I don’t know. He plays hard. And when you play as hard
every night as he does, things are gonna happen. He got suspended and
reprimanded and everything, but the same thing can be said about Sidney.
I mean, you look a the end of last night’s game, which happens a lot.
[Crosby] competes so hard, I mean, he ends up in that scrum at the end. I
don’t think his image of being a great player is tarnished by the
amount of little feuds he’s gotten into in the course of this year. But I
mean, Ovi’s suspensions are again nationwide, or two nations
wide, and you hear it all the time. It may have, I have no idea. Not to us,
that’s all I know.”
Over the past few weeks I’ve
found it interesting how Penguins fans have turned Ovechkin’s suspension
into a battle cry that Crosby is that much better, much more of a
classy player. Crosby plays the game with just as much emotion as
Ovechkin and he plays it right there on the edge as well — as evidenced
by his endless cross checking of Henrik Zetterberg last night.
would go on to discuss regional bias and how it affect’s one’s views of
Crosby and Ovechkin. Has Ovechkin’s reputation taken a hit nationally
because of this latest suspension? I’m sure it hasn’t helped, but I
doubt a number of neutral hockey fans suddenly turned tail and ran over
to Crosby’s side of the playground.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 38
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 3
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 72
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination