Mar 23, 2010, 1:27 PM EDT
For those that argue that Sidney Crosby is the most complete player
in the NHL, and at a higher level than some others around the league, he
has some serious issues when Evgeni Malkin is not playing. According
to Josh Yohe of the Tribune-Review:
Although Malkin’s numbers this season are down from the lofty
standards he has set, his value is becoming increasingly clear. The
Penguins are 3-7 in the games he has missed.
Perhaps more alarmingly, Crosby, who is tied with Alex Ovechkin for
the NHL goal lead with 45, has produced zero goals and only three
assists in the 10 games Malkin has missed.
Crosby had just three shots on net last night, and was frustrated all
game by the Red Wings. That will happen when you’re
facing Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski all night long, but it’s
tough to deny that Crosby has issues creating his own space and scoring
chances when Malkin isn’t playing next to him.
isn’t a case of anyone claiming that Crosby is just a product of
Malkin’s genius (although that is an interesting research project for
the future), and the Penguins are having more issues than just trying to
get by while he is out due to injury.
Any team will struggle when
you take away of their top-two players, and it’s up to the coach and
the general manager to build a team that doesn’t completely fall apart
when one player is lost. The Washington Capitals seem to get by just
fine without Ovechkin — with him, they are that much better but without
him they are still a dangerous team.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (39)