Mar 23, 2010, 1:27 PM EDT
For those that argue that Sidney Crosby is the most complete player
in the NHL, and at a higher level than some others around the league, he
has some serious issues when Evgeni Malkin is not playing. According
to Josh Yohe of the Tribune-Review:
Although Malkin’s numbers this season are down from the lofty
standards he has set, his value is becoming increasingly clear. The
Penguins are 3-7 in the games he has missed.
Perhaps more alarmingly, Crosby, who is tied with Alex Ovechkin for
the NHL goal lead with 45, has produced zero goals and only three
assists in the 10 games Malkin has missed.
Crosby had just three shots on net last night, and was frustrated all
game by the Red Wings. That will happen when you’re
facing Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski all night long, but it’s
tough to deny that Crosby has issues creating his own space and scoring
chances when Malkin isn’t playing next to him.
isn’t a case of anyone claiming that Crosby is just a product of
Malkin’s genius (although that is an interesting research project for
the future), and the Penguins are having more issues than just trying to
get by while he is out due to injury.
Any team will struggle when
you take away of their top-two players, and it’s up to the coach and
the general manager to build a team that doesn’t completely fall apart
when one player is lost. The Washington Capitals seem to get by just
fine without Ovechkin — with him, they are that much better but without
him they are still a dangerous team.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)