Mar 23, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
A.J. Perez of NHL Fanhouse
is reporting today that U.S. Marshalls and Florida sheriff’s
department investigators have gathered at the Washington Capitals’
training facility in Arlington, Virginia.
looking to talk to a few players,” an investigator from the Polk
County Sherriff’s office said before they entered the Capitals
office building that is attached to the team’s practice rink.
Polk County investigator, who identified himself only as a sergeant,
told FanHouse they were here as part of the investigation of Douglas
Owen Nagel, a chiropractor in nearby Reston, Va. Nagel was arrested by
Polk County and federal authorities Tuesday on suspicion he had
purchased anabolic steroids.
Perez reports that a number of current
and former Capitals players are patients of Nagel, although there is
zero proof at this point whether they have purchased drugs from the
chiropractor. This is apparently part of a year-long investigation of
Richard Thomas, who was arrested last summer in relation to steroids and
growth hormones coming from the Slovak Republic.
claimed to have sold drugs to professional sports people,” Judd
said in June. “He said, ‘You pick the sport and I sold it to them.’ We
pressed him further and he said he sold steroids to the Washington
Capitals and the Nationals.”
The Washington Capitals
have said they will have a statement on the investigation later today.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)