Mar 23, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
A.J. Perez of NHL Fanhouse
is reporting today that U.S. Marshalls and Florida sheriff’s
department investigators have gathered at the Washington Capitals’
training facility in Arlington, Virginia.
looking to talk to a few players,” an investigator from the Polk
County Sherriff’s office said before they entered the Capitals
office building that is attached to the team’s practice rink.
Polk County investigator, who identified himself only as a sergeant,
told FanHouse they were here as part of the investigation of Douglas
Owen Nagel, a chiropractor in nearby Reston, Va. Nagel was arrested by
Polk County and federal authorities Tuesday on suspicion he had
purchased anabolic steroids.
Perez reports that a number of current
and former Capitals players are patients of Nagel, although there is
zero proof at this point whether they have purchased drugs from the
chiropractor. This is apparently part of a year-long investigation of
Richard Thomas, who was arrested last summer in relation to steroids and
growth hormones coming from the Slovak Republic.
claimed to have sold drugs to professional sports people,” Judd
said in June. “He said, ‘You pick the sport and I sold it to them.’ We
pressed him further and he said he sold steroids to the Washington
Capitals and the Nationals.”
The Washington Capitals
have said they will have a statement on the investigation later today.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)