Mar 23, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
Does everyone remember Jay Bouwmeester? He’s the golden defenseman
who was going to be the highly sought after free agent last summer
before the Calgary Flames nabbed him in a trade-and-sign deal just days
before free agency began. He was the prototypical defenseman everyone
wants; a skilled goal scorer, a great skater and solid in his own zone.
wanted to go to a playoff team — one reason he desperately wanted out
of Florida — and now he faces the possibility of missing the playoffs
with his new team. And he hasn’t done much to help his team, either.
just two goals and 24 points, Bouwmeester has produced at a much, much
lower level than than he did in Florida. The Flames sure could use some
of his scoring right about now. Says Bouwmeester,
via Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun:
“I don’t know,” said the NHL’s current ironman Monday when asked why
he’s only put up half the points he generally accrued in Florida.
“If I did, I’d do something about it. Sometimes, things just don’t
really go for you and you can’t get a break. I haven’t scored in a long
time (more than four months and55 games to be exact) and that’s never
fun for anybody, but you focus
on the things that can give you a chance and get some shots.
“I don’t want to be running around and taking myself out of position
to take a risk to score goals if it’s not necessarily there. At the same
time, sometimes you have to put yourself in those positions.”
At this point of the season, playing it safe isn’t exactly what
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 42
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 45
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 91
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL