Mar 23, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
Matt Cooke won the first ever Bertuzzday award in an absolute landslide. That’s not surprising because his hit on Marc Savard was reprehensible (though, I guess, “legal”) and he didn’t even receive a slap on the wrist from the NHL.
This week’s race was much, much closer. My guess is that Alex Ovechkin’s star power combined with Brian Campbell’s serious injury explains why Ovechkin narrowly edged the brushed-under-the-rug shenanigans of Steve Downie. No doubt about it, though, the race was awfully close. Check out the poll results (apologies for my hasty image cropping).
So Ovechkin won by only 9 votes (or 6 percent) more than Downie. My guess is that Mr. Downie received a good chunk of his votes from ever-loyal Caps fans, but it was not enough.
Anyway, clear some space on your mantel Ovie, you are the second ever winner of the Bertuzzday award! This week’s nominees will come later tonight …
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 8
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)