Mar 22, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
There may only be three games tonight, but every single one of them is intriguing. If you’re a hockey fan, you should find at least something to like even if your team isn’t suiting up in one of these matches. Let’s get right to them.
Pittsburgh Penguins (42-24-6, 90 pts) at Detroit Red Wings (35-23-13, 83 pts) 7:00 pm ET
Isn’t it always a big game when these two teams play? The added bonus is that both are peaking heading into the playoffs, with the Red Wings on fire in particular. Detroit has very little breathing room ahead of Calgary for the eighth spot while Pittsburgh is holding a slim lead over New Jersey for the Atlantic division title and Buffalo for the second seed. This should be as combative as a regular season inter-conference game can get.
Ottawa Senators (37-30-5, 79 pts) at Montreal Canadiens (36-29-7, 79 pts) 7:30 pm ET
Before their shootout loss to the Maple Leafs, the Canadiens were quietly one of the hottest teams in the NHL. Meanwhile, Ottawa is one of the coldest squads in the league, currently on a five game losing streak. This game has serious playoff seeding impact because the winner will be seated in fifth place in the East. For a day, at least.
Colorado Avalanche (40-25-6, 86 pts) at Los Angeles Kings (41-24-5, 87 pts) 10:30 pm ET
Both of these young, up and coming teams are struggling a little bit right now. They both better be careful, too, because they aren’t guaranteed to make the playoffs. At the same time, each team can climb nicely up the playoff ladder because fifth-place Nashville only has nine games remaining (while LA has 12 and Colorado has 11)
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)