Mar 22, 2010, 12:09 PM EDT
Via the Washington
Post’s DC Sports Blog, via
Sovetsky Sport, via Russian Machine Never Breaks, we have some
highlights of a very interesting interview with Alex Ovechkin’s mother,
Tatiana. Here are some highlights:
And how did you
come up with your trademark, the number eight which
you have weared your whole career, and under which Sasha plays now?
When I first started with juniors in Dynamo, they began to put me with
the older group. I almost did not play with my age. I immensely liked
one basketball player, Vladimir Zinman. He played under eight.
did you choose hockey for Alexander then?
He is a very athletic guy. In any team sports he would be able to prove
himself. And in the childhood he watched a lot of hockey, ran with a
stick around the apartment. He was always in motion, his eyes on fire.
Since the time he started to walk Sasha was the most ardent fan of the
Moscow Dynamo in any sport.
Did you have in your career just as
hard a time as Sasha had after
the Vancouver Olympics?
Yes, I had. Ten years ago we were in the Final Four of the Euroleague
and failed to win that tournament. We yielded just one point to
Frenchwomen… I had a horrible depression.
My husband and I watched the Vancouver Olympics in Moscow. But after the
loss to Canadians (3:7) we flew to Washington to support Sasha. It’s
between me and my son what I said to him back then. It’s hard to revive
him after that loss.
really is a great interview, and there’s an incredible picture of
Alex and his mother sitting on a bench with Uljana Semjonova, the 6’11”
center of the USSR basketball team. He even has a pair of Airborne
style rollerblades on in the picture.
She also talks about the
camera incident from Vancouver and how Ovechkin has recovered from his
I tried to come up with some witty things
to say about Ovechkin here, but I can’t. This is an interview with his
mom — gotta respect that.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 12
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 23
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 25
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 19
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 55
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6