Mar 22, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
With the Detroit Red Wings holding on to the 8th playoff spot, it’s a
pretty good certainty that they’ll stay there. They could even move up
higher. It’s the Red Wings and Mike Babcock — they know exactly what
they’re doing here.
But with just a two point lead on the Calgary
Flames, let’s not get a hold of ourselves here.
The Red Wings
website has an announcement that playoff tickets for rounds one and two
will go on sale this Saturday at Noon. By that time, the Red Wings could
have built their lead over the Flames and the doubts over a playoff
berth could be negated. Or they, could be tied with Calgary and the
playoff race is even tighter.
It’s not unusual for a team to put
playoff tickets on sale weeks ahead of time, but it is rare for tickets
to go on sale when their playoff berth is still in question. Perhaps the
Red Wings want to get an early jump on ticket sales, as they fight with
a struggling Detroit economy to fill Joe Louis Arena.
the hockey gods is not a smart thing to do with one month remaining in
(Hat tip to George Malik and his Snapshots blog)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10