Mar 22, 2010, 9:29 AM EDT
In one, busy day the playoff picture all at once cleared up a bit and became more crowded and muddled. In the East, the No. 2 seed is still up for grabs while New Jersey continues to knock on Pittsburgh’s door for the division lead. In the West, the Coyotes continue their incredible surge and the race for 8th looks just a bit clearer now.
Will somebody tell me just what exactly is going on down in San Jose?
After the jump, updated standings and the games from yesterday that mattered. Anyone care for a Stanley Cup final between the Phoenix Coyotes and the Buffalo Sabres?
I’m leaving the New York Rangers out of the picture because even if the are still mathematically in the race, they don’t deserve to be. Here are the games that mattered:
New York Rangers 1, Boston 2 – The Bruins were awake for this one and nabbed an all-important two points to continue to hold on to the 8th spot and to build a bigger lead on the Rangers. It’s a good thing because…
Atlanta Thrashers 3, Philadelphia 1 - Someone told me yesterday that the Thrashers have a better record than the New Jersey Devils do since the Ilya Kovalchuk trade. I’ll run those numbers later today, but if that’s true you all owe Don Waddell an apology.
Buffalo 5, Carolina 3 – At one point, I had hopes for a magical, Cinderella run by the Canes into the playoffs. Oh well. The Sabres continue to keep pace with Pittsburgh, and they have a game in hand.
I can picture the San Jose Sharks fan, sitting on their beds and clutching their knees tight to their chest muttering to themselves over and over “Not again…..not again…”
Here are the games that mattered:
Calgary 3, Minnesota 4 - It’s funny, ever since the Wild were pretty much taken out of the playoff race they’ve started to play much better. Calgary but desperately needed two points to keep pace with Detroit.
Nashville 3, St. Louis 2 - The Predators are going to be dangerous in the playoffs, and no one is paying any attention. More on them later today.
Phoenix 3, Dallas 2 (SO) - By the power of Dave Tippett’s lost mustache, the Coyotes are riding a nine-game winning streak to the top of the Western Conference. Chicago still holds the top spot thanks to tie breakers, but they don’t count.
San Jose 1, Edmonton 5 - I got nuthin.
Colorado 2, Anaheim 5 - I think we’re starting to see the inexperience and youth of the Avs start to come through.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)