Mar 22, 2010, 11:59 PM EDT
Quick note: some of those videos might make you a little squeamish. Nothing NSFW, just some scary skate blade injuries.
NHL players are so graceful and fast on the ice that it’s really easy to forget that they’re actually on skates. Sometimes a grizzly event reminds us all that, yes, these guys have potentially lethal blades attached to their feet.
Tonight was one of those moments. In the second period of a crucial Ottawa Senators-Montreal Canadiens game, Habs grinder Travis Moen took a downright scary skate to the face and naturally needed to miss the rest of the contest. Thankfully, it appears that he should be OK as reports indicate that he won’t need to go to the hospital. (Link to video of the scary situation.)
Here’s the story from the Associated Press.
Moen suffered a laceration to his face 10:41 into the second when he was struck there by the blade of Cullen’s skate after the Senators forward was upended along the boards in the left corner of Ottawa’s zone. Moen was trailing blood as he was rushed off the ice by trainer Graham Rynbend.
A Canadiens spokesman said that Moen would not return to the game, though he was not expected to need to go to hospital for any further medical attention.
Unlike hits to the head, there’s not exactly a ton of things that can be done about these situations. Sure there was some talk about different ways to protect a player’s neck after Richard Zednik’s horrific near-death situation but judging from Sidney Crosby’s “playoff beard,” most players won’t be able to grow a skate-proof beard like Adam Burish. (Don’t get me wrong, Sid, I can’t grow a beard or a ‘stache either. It is one of my greatest shames.)
Anyway, the reason this post is light-hearted is simple: it looks like Moen is going to be (reasonably) OK. At least, that’s my hope so I can continue to make horrible pun nicknames for him (like Travis Moen “The Lawn” … hey-oh!). Seriously, though, I hope Moen recovers quickly from that scary looking injury.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)