Mar 22, 2010, 11:59 PM EDT
Quick note: some of those videos might make you a little squeamish. Nothing NSFW, just some scary skate blade injuries.
NHL players are so graceful and fast on the ice that it’s really easy to forget that they’re actually on skates. Sometimes a grizzly event reminds us all that, yes, these guys have potentially lethal blades attached to their feet.
Tonight was one of those moments. In the second period of a crucial Ottawa Senators-Montreal Canadiens game, Habs grinder Travis Moen took a downright scary skate to the face and naturally needed to miss the rest of the contest. Thankfully, it appears that he should be OK as reports indicate that he won’t need to go to the hospital. (Link to video of the scary situation.)
Here’s the story from the Associated Press.
Moen suffered a laceration to his face 10:41 into the second when he was struck there by the blade of Cullen’s skate after the Senators forward was upended along the boards in the left corner of Ottawa’s zone. Moen was trailing blood as he was rushed off the ice by trainer Graham Rynbend.
A Canadiens spokesman said that Moen would not return to the game, though he was not expected to need to go to hospital for any further medical attention.
Unlike hits to the head, there’s not exactly a ton of things that can be done about these situations. Sure there was some talk about different ways to protect a player’s neck after Richard Zednik’s horrific near-death situation but judging from Sidney Crosby’s “playoff beard,” most players won’t be able to grow a skate-proof beard like Adam Burish. (Don’t get me wrong, Sid, I can’t grow a beard or a ‘stache either. It is one of my greatest shames.)
Anyway, the reason this post is light-hearted is simple: it looks like Moen is going to be (reasonably) OK. At least, that’s my hope so I can continue to make horrible pun nicknames for him (like Travis Moen “The Lawn” … hey-oh!). Seriously, though, I hope Moen recovers quickly from that scary looking injury.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)