Mar 21, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
Let’s take a little stroll through some of the other stories from today, shall we?
- Penguins star Evgeni Malkin reportedly re-aggravated a foot injury after falling into the boards against the Carolina Hurricanes last night. The good news is that it seems to be a mostly minor problem. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has more on his ailment.
“I lost my balance and hit the boards,” Malkin said Saturday after his team fell, 3-2, to Carolina at Mellon Arena “It’s a little bit sore. It’s a little bit of bad luck, but it’s OK.”
Malkin iced the foot after the game. He expects to sit out the team’s practice today but likes his chances of being able to play Monday at Detroit — the Penguins’ first trip to Joe Louis Arena since June 12 when they won Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.
Am I alone in thinking the Pens should err on the safe side here? The Penguins didn’t need to win their division last year to win the Cup, so why not be careful with Malkin? Just saying, everyone, just saying.
But now that the Avalanche seems likely to claim a playoff spot in the first season of Sacco’s coaching tenure, and the first season since Greg Sherman was promoted to succeed Francois Giguere as general manager, Sacco not only is what passes for secure in a ridiculously insecure league – he’s a legitimate candidate for the Jack Adams Award, which goes to the NHL’s coach of the year.
Eh, I might have to disagree with Terry Frei on him being the coach of the year (it has to be Dave Tippett, in my opinion), but overall it’s a good point.
- Man, Edmonton must be a frozen nightmare or something, because NHL players … well, they don’t have the kindest things to say about it. You may recall Dany Heatley refusing to waive his no-trade clause because he didn’t want to play there. The hits keep on coming, this time in an Orange County Register story about Lubomir Visnovsky’s blissful return to the sunny dream land that is Southern California.
Just how much does Lubomir Visnovsky appreciate being out of Edmonton?
“For the life, it’s unreal,” Visnovsky said Saturday. “Look at the weather every day. Look at me. I’ve got shorts and sandals on. In Edmonton, it’s so cold right now.”
For the record, it was a balmy 50 degrees in Edmonton late Saturday afternoon and 69 degrees in Anaheim. But the point was made.
Sorry, Oilers fans.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)