Mar 20, 2010, 2:10 PM EST
Just a few days after receiving a hit to the head that drew an 8-game suspension for former teammate James Wisniewski, it looks like Chicago defenseman Brent Seabrook is starting to recover from possible concussion symptoms. Chris Kuc has the story.
“I worked out (Thursday night) and felt good and felt good enough to skate (Friday) and take the (concussion) test this morning,” Seabrook said. “I feel a lot better.
“(Thursday morning) I rode the bike and did a workout and didn’t feel comfortable and didn’t feel right and took the res tof the day off and just sort of relaxed and felt better (Thursday night). The symptoms have been going away pretty quickly. When you get hit in the head that you want to take as much rest as you can and just relax. Any exertion is going to build up headaches and make you feel not great.”
It looks like Seabrook is still “day-to-day” but hopefully his concussion was mild (a Grade I?) at worst. The one bright side of the situation seems to be that Dustin Byfuglien is flourishing since being placed back on defense. Here’s what the Chicago Tribune wrote about Byfuglien’s return to the blueline.
“I don’t want to make an official announcement about Byfuglien being a defenseman, but we really liked what we saw,” coach Joel Quenneville said. “He really looks comfortable back there. Him and ( Niklas Hjalmarsson) looked like they’re a nice pair. As a group, we’re thinking, let’s keep (Byfuglien) on ‘D’ and see how it goes.”
Byfuglien played 20 minutes, 56 seconds against the Kings and had a team-high six shots and five hits while adding an assist. The extra room along the blueline has allowed Byfuglien to unleash one of the Hawks’ most lethal weapons – his slap shot.
While it’s great that Chicago “re-discovered” a valuable defenseman, I’m sure that they are eagerly awaiting Seabrook’s return. Hopefully the young defenseman will be back in action soon.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)