Mar 20, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Just a few days after receiving a hit to the head that drew an 8-game suspension for former teammate James Wisniewski, it looks like Chicago defenseman Brent Seabrook is starting to recover from possible concussion symptoms. Chris Kuc has the story.
“I worked out (Thursday night) and felt good and felt good enough to skate (Friday) and take the (concussion) test this morning,” Seabrook said. “I feel a lot better.
“(Thursday morning) I rode the bike and did a workout and didn’t feel comfortable and didn’t feel right and took the res tof the day off and just sort of relaxed and felt better (Thursday night). The symptoms have been going away pretty quickly. When you get hit in the head that you want to take as much rest as you can and just relax. Any exertion is going to build up headaches and make you feel not great.”
It looks like Seabrook is still “day-to-day” but hopefully his concussion was mild (a Grade I?) at worst. The one bright side of the situation seems to be that Dustin Byfuglien is flourishing since being placed back on defense. Here’s what the Chicago Tribune wrote about Byfuglien’s return to the blueline.
“I don’t want to make an official announcement about Byfuglien being a defenseman, but we really liked what we saw,” coach Joel Quenneville said. “He really looks comfortable back there. Him and ( Niklas Hjalmarsson) looked like they’re a nice pair. As a group, we’re thinking, let’s keep (Byfuglien) on ‘D’ and see how it goes.”
Byfuglien played 20 minutes, 56 seconds against the Kings and had a team-high six shots and five hits while adding an assist. The extra room along the blueline has allowed Byfuglien to unleash one of the Hawks’ most lethal weapons – his slap shot.
While it’s great that Chicago “re-discovered” a valuable defenseman, I’m sure that they are eagerly awaiting Seabrook’s return. Hopefully the young defenseman will be back in action soon.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)