Mar 20, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at some assorted news items from around the NHL today.
- Apparently, the St. Louis Blues may consider bringing back Paul Kariya, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Really, they want to bring back the guy who did so little to earn a three-year, $18 million contract? Then again, team president John Davidson seemed like he was being polite more than anything else.
“We’ll certainly have an open mind with Paul,” Davidson said. “As far as the future goes, I can’t say anything about that. We’ve got to assess who’s available (in free agency), who’s coming up from the minors, who’s going to retire, who’s not going to retire … all that stuff.”
- New Jersey defenseman Paul Martin is working his way back from injury. He had been out since October 24. Florida forward Nathan Horton also just returned to action, playing his first game in a bit more than three months. (Source: The Globe and Mail.)
- Starting Tuesday, NHL Game Center will open up their “Vault” of classic hockey games. Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy shared some of the games that will be available.
May 19, 1984 – The Edmonton Oilers defeat reigning champs (New York Islanders) to win their first Stanley Cup
Dec. 2, 1995 – Patrick Roy’s last game as a Montreal Canadien (vs. Detroit)
June 14, 1994 – New York Rangers defeat the Vancouver Canucks to win their first Stanley Cup since 1940
November 22, 2003 – The Heritage Classic featuring the Canadiens vs. Oilers
Dec. 31, 1975 – The Montreal Canadiens meet the Red Army in the famous New Year’s Eve game
May 29, 1993 – Wayne Gretzky records a hat trick as the Los Angeles Kings beat the Leafs and advance to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time.
May 24, 1980 – The New York Islanders defeat the Flyers and win their first Stanley Cup on Bob Nystrom’s overtime goal
- The Kings are 4-4-2 in their last 10 games and have lost two in a row. That is causing some Kings fans, players and writers to show some concern. LA Kings Insider Rich Hammond has three interesting blog entries on their struggles: top line disappointments, questions of complacency and the important difference between desperation and panic.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)