Mar 20, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at some assorted news items from around the NHL today.
- Apparently, the St. Louis Blues may consider bringing back Paul Kariya, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Really, they want to bring back the guy who did so little to earn a three-year, $18 million contract? Then again, team president John Davidson seemed like he was being polite more than anything else.
“We’ll certainly have an open mind with Paul,” Davidson said. “As far as the future goes, I can’t say anything about that. We’ve got to assess who’s available (in free agency), who’s coming up from the minors, who’s going to retire, who’s not going to retire … all that stuff.”
- New Jersey defenseman Paul Martin is working his way back from injury. He had been out since October 24. Florida forward Nathan Horton also just returned to action, playing his first game in a bit more than three months. (Source: The Globe and Mail.)
- Starting Tuesday, NHL Game Center will open up their “Vault” of classic hockey games. Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy shared some of the games that will be available.
May 19, 1984 – The Edmonton Oilers defeat reigning champs (New York Islanders) to win their first Stanley Cup
Dec. 2, 1995 – Patrick Roy’s last game as a Montreal Canadien (vs. Detroit)
June 14, 1994 – New York Rangers defeat the Vancouver Canucks to win their first Stanley Cup since 1940
November 22, 2003 – The Heritage Classic featuring the Canadiens vs. Oilers
Dec. 31, 1975 – The Montreal Canadiens meet the Red Army in the famous New Year’s Eve game
May 29, 1993 – Wayne Gretzky records a hat trick as the Los Angeles Kings beat the Leafs and advance to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time.
May 24, 1980 – The New York Islanders defeat the Flyers and win their first Stanley Cup on Bob Nystrom’s overtime goal
- The Kings are 4-4-2 in their last 10 games and have lost two in a row. That is causing some Kings fans, players and writers to show some concern. LA Kings Insider Rich Hammond has three interesting blog entries on their struggles: top line disappointments, questions of complacency and the important difference between desperation and panic.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)