Mar 19, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The highlight of tonight’s four game slate is San Jose vs. Calgary. Could this be a preview of a possible first round match? Let’s preview the games.
Minnesota Wild (34-30-6, 74 pts) at Columbus Blue Jackets (28-31-11, 67 pts) 7:00 PM ET
Last year, the Western Conference bubble was nearly as convoluted as a David Lynch film. Now, it seems like the clogged section is “the almost-bubble” teams. Minnesota, St. Louis, Dallas and Anaheim are all long shots to make the playoffs and need to squeeze at least a charity point out of their remaining games.
San Jose Sharks (43-17-10, 96 pts) at Calgary Flames (35-26-9, 79 pts) 9:00 PM ET
When you consider the fact that the Sharks face the Coyotes once more this year and would only really have a 1 point lead if they lost that game, San Jose’s Pacific division lead is perilously small. Who would have thought that they’d have to worry about the division – not the conference – title slipping through their fingers at this time of year? Calgary needs to keep pace with a hot Detroit team if they hope to sneak into the playoffs.
Detroit Red Wings (34-23-12, 80 pts) at Edmonton Oilers (21-42-7, 49 pts) 9:30 PM ET
It’s going to be that much more difficult for the Flames because Detroit is playing against the weakling Edmonton Oilers. Then again, it’s not like Flames fans are going to root for Edmonton, anyway.
New York Islanders (29-32-9, 67 pts) at Anaheim Ducks (32-29-8, 72 pts) 10:00 PM ET
“Barstool” Bob Murray can mock Chicago’s goalies all he wants, deep down he would gladly take their problems over his current ones. At least in the short term. The Ducks probably need to win out to even have a chance at avoiding early golf.
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles