Mar 19, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
What a great month-or-so for Ryan Kesler. First, he warms the hearts of many American hockey fans with his great play (and amazing empty net goal) for USA hockey in the Olympics. Then he lands the cover role for the Wii-exclusive hockey game NHL 2K11. He’s been one of the ten best skaters in the league since the trade deadline.
And now he’s rich.
The two-way center signed a six-year extension with the Vancouver Canucks today, according to The Globe and Mail. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the six year deal will be worth about $5 million per year, making the deal in the neighborhood of $30 million.
Looking at Vancouver’s long-term salary cap situation, I would say that the Canucks have done a solid job wrapping up core players at reasonable rates (at least since GM Mike Gillis took over). The Sedins have twin contracts that will mean a combined cap hit of $12.2 million per year, Mikael Samuelsson could turn out to be a steal at $2.5 and Alex Burrows is definitely a steal at $2 million.
Naturally, like any team, they have a few worries. A lot rests on Roberto Luongo staying healthy during his Rick Dipietro-style contract and I’m not sure spending $10 million on injury prone defensemen Alex Edler, Sami Salo and Kevin Bieksa is particularly prudent.
Still, overall, the Canucks have a great core of hard working players without a true albatross contract and no one crucial to re-sign. Most NHL teams would kill to be in that situation – and to have players like Ryan Kesler.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 5
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 25
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)