Mar 19, 2010, 3:40 PM EST
Most interviews with hockey players seem to fall under three categories:
- The cliche-soaked interview.
- The cliche-soaked interview by a player soaked with sweat.
- Awkward interview with a dude who knows five words of English.
Indeed, it’s rare to come across moments that are truly riveting (although John Tortorella certainly is a trailblazer when it comes to fiery press conferences). Well, TSN’s “Off the Record” landed something interesting for any hockey fan: a side-by-side interview featuring Claude Lemieux and Darren McCarty.
The interview is in multiple parts, starting with this clip.
Obviously, the subject will always be interesting, but it’s especially relevant now with all the controversy regarding hits to the head.
It’s sort of amazing to hear Lemieux admit that he “suckered” someone and I couldn’t help but note McCarty’s charisma. I’d love to see players like McCarty, Jeremy Roenick and others talk more often “in their element.” (I love when he says, “(Kris Draper) was like a brother to me … more so.” I guess all Irish brothers have weird issues.)
Anyway, it’s some fascinating stuff that you should absolutely check out. There’s some mildly strong language, so be careful if you’re playing it at work.
(H/T to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater for the link.)
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2