Mar 19, 2010, 3:40 PM EDT
Most interviews with hockey players seem to fall under three categories:
- The cliche-soaked interview.
- The cliche-soaked interview by a player soaked with sweat.
- Awkward interview with a dude who knows five words of English.
Indeed, it’s rare to come across moments that are truly riveting (although John Tortorella certainly is a trailblazer when it comes to fiery press conferences). Well, TSN’s “Off the Record” landed something interesting for any hockey fan: a side-by-side interview featuring Claude Lemieux and Darren McCarty.
The interview is in multiple parts, starting with this clip.
Obviously, the subject will always be interesting, but it’s especially relevant now with all the controversy regarding hits to the head.
It’s sort of amazing to hear Lemieux admit that he “suckered” someone and I couldn’t help but note McCarty’s charisma. I’d love to see players like McCarty, Jeremy Roenick and others talk more often “in their element.” (I love when he says, “(Kris Draper) was like a brother to me … more so.” I guess all Irish brothers have weird issues.)
Anyway, it’s some fascinating stuff that you should absolutely check out. There’s some mildly strong language, so be careful if you’re playing it at work.
(H/T to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater for the link.)
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 2
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)