Mar 19, 2010, 3:40 PM EDT
Most interviews with hockey players seem to fall under three categories:
- The cliche-soaked interview.
- The cliche-soaked interview by a player soaked with sweat.
- Awkward interview with a dude who knows five words of English.
Indeed, it’s rare to come across moments that are truly riveting (although John Tortorella certainly is a trailblazer when it comes to fiery press conferences). Well, TSN’s “Off the Record” landed something interesting for any hockey fan: a side-by-side interview featuring Claude Lemieux and Darren McCarty.
The interview is in multiple parts, starting with this clip.
Obviously, the subject will always be interesting, but it’s especially relevant now with all the controversy regarding hits to the head.
It’s sort of amazing to hear Lemieux admit that he “suckered” someone and I couldn’t help but note McCarty’s charisma. I’d love to see players like McCarty, Jeremy Roenick and others talk more often “in their element.” (I love when he says, “(Kris Draper) was like a brother to me … more so.” I guess all Irish brothers have weird issues.)
Anyway, it’s some fascinating stuff that you should absolutely check out. There’s some mildly strong language, so be careful if you’re playing it at work.
(H/T to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater for the link.)
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL