Mar 19, 2010, 3:40 PM EDT
Most interviews with hockey players seem to fall under three categories:
- The cliche-soaked interview.
- The cliche-soaked interview by a player soaked with sweat.
- Awkward interview with a dude who knows five words of English.
Indeed, it’s rare to come across moments that are truly riveting (although John Tortorella certainly is a trailblazer when it comes to fiery press conferences). Well, TSN’s “Off the Record” landed something interesting for any hockey fan: a side-by-side interview featuring Claude Lemieux and Darren McCarty.
The interview is in multiple parts, starting with this clip.
Obviously, the subject will always be interesting, but it’s especially relevant now with all the controversy regarding hits to the head.
It’s sort of amazing to hear Lemieux admit that he “suckered” someone and I couldn’t help but note McCarty’s charisma. I’d love to see players like McCarty, Jeremy Roenick and others talk more often “in their element.” (I love when he says, “(Kris Draper) was like a brother to me … more so.” I guess all Irish brothers have weird issues.)
Anyway, it’s some fascinating stuff that you should absolutely check out. There’s some mildly strong language, so be careful if you’re playing it at work.
(H/T to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater for the link.)
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (45)