Mar 19, 2010, 3:40 PM EDT
Most interviews with hockey players seem to fall under three categories:
- The cliche-soaked interview.
- The cliche-soaked interview by a player soaked with sweat.
- Awkward interview with a dude who knows five words of English.
Indeed, it’s rare to come across moments that are truly riveting (although John Tortorella certainly is a trailblazer when it comes to fiery press conferences). Well, TSN’s “Off the Record” landed something interesting for any hockey fan: a side-by-side interview featuring Claude Lemieux and Darren McCarty.
The interview is in multiple parts, starting with this clip.
Obviously, the subject will always be interesting, but it’s especially relevant now with all the controversy regarding hits to the head.
It’s sort of amazing to hear Lemieux admit that he “suckered” someone and I couldn’t help but note McCarty’s charisma. I’d love to see players like McCarty, Jeremy Roenick and others talk more often “in their element.” (I love when he says, “(Kris Draper) was like a brother to me … more so.” I guess all Irish brothers have weird issues.)
Anyway, it’s some fascinating stuff that you should absolutely check out. There’s some mildly strong language, so be careful if you’re playing it at work.
(H/T to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater for the link.)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 73
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50