Mar 18, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Yes, we are aware that there are 10 games other than Pittsburgh-Boston tonight. Previewing all 11 of tonight’s games might be a bit much, though, so let’s take a look at some of the “bigger” ones.
San Jose Sharks (43-16-10, 96 pts) at Vancouver Canucks (43-24-3, 89 pts) 10:00 PM ET
It would be a colossal surprise, but the Sharks need to at least pay some mind to the fact that the Coyotes are only five points behind them right now. It’s still a big gap to close in such a small amount of games, but the two teams are going in different directions. Considering their crazy road trip and 25-8-1 home record, Vancouver has every reason to distance themselves from Colorado for the NW division lead (and therefore, more home cooking).
Chicago Blackhawks (44-19-6, 94 pts) at Los Angeles Kings (40-23-5, 85 pts) 10:30 PM ET
The Blackhawks are a considerably different team from the one that recently beat the Kings in overtime. They’re shorthanded with three injured defensemen and are on a three game losing streak. Meanwhile, having played 68 games to Colorado’s 70, Los Angeles is in a great position to break the Avs’ one point lead and climb to fifth place in the West.
Minnesota Wild (34-29-6, 74 pts) at Nashville Predators (39-26-5, 83 pts) 8:00 PM ET
This game doesn’t quite have the starpower of the other two listed in this post, but there’s still some serious playoff implications. Nashville is on a three game winning streak but they need every point with Detroit, Calgary – and, to an extent Minnesota – breathing down their necks. Then again, how much damage would a lowly seeded Wild do with that horrible 11-20-3 road record, anyway?
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)