Mar 18, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Yes, we are aware that there are 10 games other than Pittsburgh-Boston tonight. Previewing all 11 of tonight’s games might be a bit much, though, so let’s take a look at some of the “bigger” ones.
San Jose Sharks (43-16-10, 96 pts) at Vancouver Canucks (43-24-3, 89 pts) 10:00 PM ET
It would be a colossal surprise, but the Sharks need to at least pay some mind to the fact that the Coyotes are only five points behind them right now. It’s still a big gap to close in such a small amount of games, but the two teams are going in different directions. Considering their crazy road trip and 25-8-1 home record, Vancouver has every reason to distance themselves from Colorado for the NW division lead (and therefore, more home cooking).
Chicago Blackhawks (44-19-6, 94 pts) at Los Angeles Kings (40-23-5, 85 pts) 10:30 PM ET
The Blackhawks are a considerably different team from the one that recently beat the Kings in overtime. They’re shorthanded with three injured defensemen and are on a three game losing streak. Meanwhile, having played 68 games to Colorado’s 70, Los Angeles is in a great position to break the Avs’ one point lead and climb to fifth place in the West.
Minnesota Wild (34-29-6, 74 pts) at Nashville Predators (39-26-5, 83 pts) 8:00 PM ET
This game doesn’t quite have the starpower of the other two listed in this post, but there’s still some serious playoff implications. Nashville is on a three game winning streak but they need every point with Detroit, Calgary – and, to an extent Minnesota – breathing down their necks. Then again, how much damage would a lowly seeded Wild do with that horrible 11-20-3 road record, anyway?
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)