Mar 18, 2010, 6:15 PM EST
Yes, we are aware that there are 10 games other than Pittsburgh-Boston tonight. Previewing all 11 of tonight’s games might be a bit much, though, so let’s take a look at some of the “bigger” ones.
San Jose Sharks (43-16-10, 96 pts) at Vancouver Canucks (43-24-3, 89 pts) 10:00 PM ET
It would be a colossal surprise, but the Sharks need to at least pay some mind to the fact that the Coyotes are only five points behind them right now. It’s still a big gap to close in such a small amount of games, but the two teams are going in different directions. Considering their crazy road trip and 25-8-1 home record, Vancouver has every reason to distance themselves from Colorado for the NW division lead (and therefore, more home cooking).
Chicago Blackhawks (44-19-6, 94 pts) at Los Angeles Kings (40-23-5, 85 pts) 10:30 PM ET
The Blackhawks are a considerably different team from the one that recently beat the Kings in overtime. They’re shorthanded with three injured defensemen and are on a three game losing streak. Meanwhile, having played 68 games to Colorado’s 70, Los Angeles is in a great position to break the Avs’ one point lead and climb to fifth place in the West.
Minnesota Wild (34-29-6, 74 pts) at Nashville Predators (39-26-5, 83 pts) 8:00 PM ET
This game doesn’t quite have the starpower of the other two listed in this post, but there’s still some serious playoff implications. Nashville is on a three game winning streak but they need every point with Detroit, Calgary – and, to an extent Minnesota – breathing down their necks. Then again, how much damage would a lowly seeded Wild do with that horrible 11-20-3 road record, anyway?
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)