Mar 18, 2010, 7:24 PM EDT
That didn’t take long. Shawn Thornton and Matt Cooke fought more or less the moment that Cooke stepped on the ice. It was a solid enough duel and the larger(/righteously justified?) Thornton got the better of the least popular man in the arena. As the Penguins’ announcers were asking, one has to wonder if this will be the last incident of the night.
As far as the league is concerned, that’s a perfectly fine reaction. We’ll keep an eye on this game as it progresses. If anything else interesting (or violent) happens, we’ll pass it along.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54