Mar 18, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are to goalies what the Chicago Bears are to quarterbacks. (Which I guess means Ron Hextall is Jim McMahon? Works for me.) TSN reports that Michael Leighton will miss 8-10 weeks with a high ankle sprain.
According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren made the announcement on Thursday, meaning the team’s Stanley Cup hopes now lie with Brian Boucher.
The Flyers will need to win a couple of playoff series to give Leighton a chance to return to the lineup.
That’s gotta hurt! Earlier this year, Ray Emery needed to conclude his season – and may ultimately end his career – after hip surgery. The team will now center its playoff hopes on the well-traveled Brian Boucher, who isn’t a horrible backup but certainly not the guy you’d want to pin your Stanley Cup hopes on.
I both agree and disagree with Hockeycentric’s Tweet about the injury.
Michael Leighton out 8-10 weeks… Paul Holmgren’s ineptitude on full display.
On one hand, many people – myself included – criticized Holmgren for not trading for goaltending insurance during the trade deadline. You’d think that they’d want to add a veteran such as Dwayne Roloson or former Flyer Martin Biron (or even someone outside of Long Island) just in case Michael Leighton faltered.
The thing is, Leighton was actually providing Philadelphia with solid play in net. With that in mind, can you blame Holmgren for something as random as injuries? How many legitimate contenders, exactly, could deal with the injury of their No. 1 goalie right now?
Then again, this is Philadelphia, where they always seem to skimp on goalies. There are few certainties in sports, but these things seem to hold true: the Yankees will out-spend everyone, the Lakers will get lucky with trades, the Bengals will acquire malcontents, the Trailblazers will draft injury prone centers over Hall of Fame shooters and the Flyers will fail in net.
Really, it’s good to have a few sure things in an increasingly uncertain world.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)