Mar 18, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Let’s face it: the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins have too much to gain from a win to allow tonight’s game to devolve into a shameless slug fest (or worse).
The Bruins have a slight lead on the New York Rangers for eight place in the East, but if they lose tonight’s game and our Game of the Week they’ll be in trouble. Once again, the Penguins lost to the Devils last night and therefore were booted out of first in the Atlantic division.
With Colin Campbell planning to be in attendance, you can bet that refs are going to be trigger happy with their whistles. So, instead of going over the line for the sake of enacting Hammurabi’s Code, the Bruins should instead gain revenge by taking a high road unfamiliar to Matt Cooke.
Hit the Penguins legally every chance you get. Make a point of putting the wood to their best players, Crosby and Malkin. Forget the fighting unless they want to do it in the parking lot where everyone can get a little leverage because their skates will be on the locker room floor and not on their feet.
Now, this is the kind of “punishment” I can get behind. In fact, this – rather than James Wisnewski’s shameful hit to on Brent Seabrook last night – is the way that hockey justice should be reached. As Brandon pointed out, the league has had its problems with people putting a “bounty” on a player’s head (see: Bertuzzi-Moore).
No doubt about it, the spotlight is on this game tonight. Let’s hope that the only black eyes will be on the players’ faces, rather than the game as a whole.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 14
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13