Mar 17, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
As far as I know, there’s no concrete award for being named the NHL’s player of the week, but surely Mikael Samuelsson could think of a better way to celebrate than to be injured for 2-3 weeks. Right?
All kidding aside, it’s been an up and down season for the Swedish winger. The Vancouver Sun reports that he’ll miss up to three weeks with the always nebulous “upper body injury.”
That injury, thought to be shoulder-related, was suffered late in Tuesday night’s 5-2 loss to the New York Islanders.
Canuck coach Alain Vigneault acknowledged the loss of Samuelsson is a significant blow to his team.
“He had been playing real well,” Vigneault said after his team’s practice today at General Motors Place. “He just got named first star in the NHL last week so obviously he was contributing to our success and it’s something we are going to have to deal with.”
Samuelsson had been one of the Canucks’ hottest offensive players of late. He has recorded 30 goals and 53 points this season. Both are career highs.
Along with posting career highs in points, Samuelsson also made waves when he shared some profanity-laced responses upon hearing news of being left off the Swedish Olympic team. Considering his solid chemistry with the Sedin twins, one cannot help but wonder if his right-handed shot could have come in handy for what turned out to be an underwhelming Swedish team.
Michael Grabner has been called up to replace him.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)