Mar 17, 2010, 4:20 PM EST
As far as I know, there’s no concrete award for being named the NHL’s player of the week, but surely Mikael Samuelsson could think of a better way to celebrate than to be injured for 2-3 weeks. Right?
All kidding aside, it’s been an up and down season for the Swedish winger. The Vancouver Sun reports that he’ll miss up to three weeks with the always nebulous “upper body injury.”
That injury, thought to be shoulder-related, was suffered late in Tuesday night’s 5-2 loss to the New York Islanders.
Canuck coach Alain Vigneault acknowledged the loss of Samuelsson is a significant blow to his team.
“He had been playing real well,” Vigneault said after his team’s practice today at General Motors Place. “He just got named first star in the NHL last week so obviously he was contributing to our success and it’s something we are going to have to deal with.”
Samuelsson had been one of the Canucks’ hottest offensive players of late. He has recorded 30 goals and 53 points this season. Both are career highs.
Along with posting career highs in points, Samuelsson also made waves when he shared some profanity-laced responses upon hearing news of being left off the Swedish Olympic team. Considering his solid chemistry with the Sedin twins, one cannot help but wonder if his right-handed shot could have come in handy for what turned out to be an underwhelming Swedish team.
Michael Grabner has been called up to replace him.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 14
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 48
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)