Mar 17, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks will be giving Corey Crawford a chance after all. The goaltender who was called up on an emergency basis because of Cristobal Huet’s flu will start tonight in net against the Anaheim Ducks. From Chris Kuc of Chicago Breaking Sports -
“I just have to come in and play my game and just be focused and
ready for every shot.” Crawford said after Wednesday’s morning skate.
“Right now it’s just a one-game thing. That’s how I look at it. It’s
kind of nice to get a game. I don’t know what else to think than just to
be ready and be focused.”
Crawford hasn’t fared all that well in the NHL, with just one win out of seven appearances at the top level. But the Hawks are giving him a shot to show what he can do, and you have to think they’re running out of options on their end as well when it comes to the goaltending position.
Sure, it’s just one game. Sure, it’s only because Huet has the flu and the Hawks are playing tomorrow night as well. But what if Crawford plays great, and then Niemi throws up a stinkbomb tomorrow? Are the Hawks forced to give Crawford a chance?
- Carolina is ‘concerned’ about Jordan Staal, who was helped off the ice 1
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)