Mar 17, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks will be giving Corey Crawford a chance after all. The goaltender who was called up on an emergency basis because of Cristobal Huet’s flu will start tonight in net against the Anaheim Ducks. From Chris Kuc of Chicago Breaking Sports -
“I just have to come in and play my game and just be focused and
ready for every shot.” Crawford said after Wednesday’s morning skate.
“Right now it’s just a one-game thing. That’s how I look at it. It’s
kind of nice to get a game. I don’t know what else to think than just to
be ready and be focused.”
Crawford hasn’t fared all that well in the NHL, with just one win out of seven appearances at the top level. But the Hawks are giving him a shot to show what he can do, and you have to think they’re running out of options on their end as well when it comes to the goaltending position.
Sure, it’s just one game. Sure, it’s only because Huet has the flu and the Hawks are playing tomorrow night as well. But what if Crawford plays great, and then Niemi throws up a stinkbomb tomorrow? Are the Hawks forced to give Crawford a chance?
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)