Mar 16, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Each week, we’ll call on the wonderful people of the Internet to vote for the Bertuzzday award of shame. Matt Cooke received our first ever award for his non-suspended hit on Marc Savard. Unfortunately, the stream of dangerous hits continued throughout the past week. Let’s take a look at the list of nominees.
Alex Ovechkin – Obviously, Ovechkin’s hit is causing plenty of debate. You probably know by now that Ovechkin received a 2 game suspension for his check (from behind or from the side? Let’s get a computer to figure it out!) on Brian Campbell. It will be interesting to see if Ovechkin ends up taking the votes here (I imagine there might be some people in our nation’s capital voting for someone else).
Steve Downie – It’s surprising that this situation has been completely overshadowed by Ovechkin-Campbell. Naturally, it would have gotten a lot more buzz if Sidney Crosby ended up being injured, but the video is pretty jarring either way. I was pretty upset about it on Sunday night, for sure.
Matt Frattin – Just in case you’re worried that we are picking on the NHL, here’s a college player with a questionable hit. Frattin received a one game suspension for the hit. Frankly, it’s pretty difficult to watch that one.
However, if you want to see it, click here.
Edmonton Oilers – Hopefully more Bertuzzday candidates will be “comic relief” choices like this one. The Oilers didn’t do anything morally reprehensible (as far as I know) beyond simply subjecting their fans to such torment. The team is a horrible 1-14-1 in road games since mid-December. If that’s not shameful, I don’t know what is.
Other – Again, here’s your chance to insult me and all the things I stand for. As long as you admit that I have impeccable fashion sense and undeniable class. Of course, you could also name someone who was left out. Try to keep it to evil deeds from the past week, if you can.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5