Mar 16, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Each week, we’ll call on the wonderful people of the Internet to vote for the Bertuzzday award of shame. Matt Cooke received our first ever award for his non-suspended hit on Marc Savard. Unfortunately, the stream of dangerous hits continued throughout the past week. Let’s take a look at the list of nominees.
Alex Ovechkin - Obviously, Ovechkin’s hit is causing plenty of debate. You probably know by now that Ovechkin received a 2 game suspension for his check (from behind or from the side? Let’s get a computer to figure it out!) on Brian Campbell. It will be interesting to see if Ovechkin ends up taking the votes here (I imagine there might be some people in our nation’s capital voting for someone else).
Steve Downie – It’s surprising that this situation has been completely overshadowed by Ovechkin-Campbell. Naturally, it would have gotten a lot more buzz if Sidney Crosby ended up being injured, but the video is pretty jarring either way. I was pretty upset about it on Sunday night, for sure.
Matt Frattin - Just in case you’re worried that we are picking on the NHL, here’s a college player with a questionable hit. Frattin received a one game suspension for the hit. Frankly, it’s pretty difficult to watch that one.
However, if you want to see it, click here.
Edmonton Oilers - Hopefully more Bertuzzday candidates will be “comic relief” choices like this one. The Oilers didn’t do anything morally reprehensible (as far as I know) beyond simply subjecting their fans to such torment. The team is a horrible 1-14-1 in road games since mid-December. If that’s not shameful, I don’t know what is.
Other - Again, here’s your chance to insult me and all the things I stand for. As long as you admit that I have impeccable fashion sense and undeniable class. Of course, you could also name someone who was left out. Try to keep it to evil deeds from the past week, if you can.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (81)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games