Mar 16, 2010, 3:00 PM EST
Each week, we’ll call on the wonderful people of the Internet to vote for the Bertuzzday award of shame. Matt Cooke received our first ever award for his non-suspended hit on Marc Savard. Unfortunately, the stream of dangerous hits continued throughout the past week. Let’s take a look at the list of nominees.
Alex Ovechkin - Obviously, Ovechkin’s hit is causing plenty of debate. You probably know by now that Ovechkin received a 2 game suspension for his check (from behind or from the side? Let’s get a computer to figure it out!) on Brian Campbell. It will be interesting to see if Ovechkin ends up taking the votes here (I imagine there might be some people in our nation’s capital voting for someone else).
Steve Downie – It’s surprising that this situation has been completely overshadowed by Ovechkin-Campbell. Naturally, it would have gotten a lot more buzz if Sidney Crosby ended up being injured, but the video is pretty jarring either way. I was pretty upset about it on Sunday night, for sure.
Matt Frattin - Just in case you’re worried that we are picking on the NHL, here’s a college player with a questionable hit. Frattin received a one game suspension for the hit. Frankly, it’s pretty difficult to watch that one.
However, if you want to see it, click here.
Edmonton Oilers - Hopefully more Bertuzzday candidates will be “comic relief” choices like this one. The Oilers didn’t do anything morally reprehensible (as far as I know) beyond simply subjecting their fans to such torment. The team is a horrible 1-14-1 in road games since mid-December. If that’s not shameful, I don’t know what is.
Other - Again, here’s your chance to insult me and all the things I stand for. As long as you admit that I have impeccable fashion sense and undeniable class. Of course, you could also name someone who was left out. Try to keep it to evil deeds from the past week, if you can.
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 0
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)