Mar 16, 2010, 3:28 PM EDT
For every penalty; turn, turn, turn….
For every injury; turn, turn, turn….
For every bad hit, the wheel of justice turns, turns,
It’s not everyday that I defend and then condemn
the same person within an hour. But here I am, doing just that. Thanks,
A day after the NHL suspended Alex Ovechkin two
games for his “push” of Brian Campbell, the league has handed down a
paltry $1,000 fine to Steve Downie for his take down of Sidney Crosby on
Sunday. Downie is a repeat offender, has a reputation for making dirty
plays and was basically given a slap on the wrist for a play that could
have just as dire consequences as Ovechkin’s.
Yet Sidney Crosby
wasn’t injured (although he was hurt momentarily), so I guess it’s just
not as bad. And I KNOW there will be the argument about the Matt Cooke hit and how he ended Marc Savard’s season. We all know there’s massive hypocrisy surrounding this entire situation. But until new rules are put into place, the NHL will continue to run circles around it’s own policies.
Obviously this is the NHL acting on it’s obvious bias
towards Alex Ovechkin, as well as the Tampa Bay Lighting.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 46
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)