Mar 16, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers tried to score some goaltending depth at the trade deadline, but found the asking price too high went it turned out they were the only team actually looking a starting netminder. They rested their playoff hopes on Michael Leighton, who has performed well enough in 26 games this season. Well enough, at least, after Ray Emery was lost for the season.
Tonight, Flyers fans’ deepest fear came to fruition when Leighton had to leave the game against the Nashville Predators, after coming down awkwardly on his ankle.
The team is classifying it as a possible high-ankle sprain, according to The Sports Network. He is considered day-to-day.
Now, I’m not a doctor but from what my short memory tells me is that high-ankle sprains are generally not “day-to-day” injuries. Even a mild sprain takes about a week or so to get over. So it could be at least a week until Leighton returns to the ice, and there’s a chance — depending on the injury — that it could linger. If it’s a ‘high ankle sprain’ like they mention, it could be anywhere from six to ten weeks for a goaltender to get back on the ice.
Or it could be nothing at all. I just know that muscle is extremely important to the strength and mobility of a goaltender; I’ve dealt with that injury myself, and it took a while until I was 100%.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)