Mar 16, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
It’s been a rough season for the Columbus Blue Jackets, and perhaps no player on that team embodies those struggles quite like unheralded defenseman Jan Hejda. The team’s best defenseman will probably miss the rest of the regular season because of a sprained right knee, which must be familiar to Hejda since he’s dealt with similar problems regarding his left knee for a big chunk of this season. The Columbus Dispatch has more.
The sprain is similar to the one he suffered to his left knee Oct.13 against Calgary. He was tabled for three weeks with that injury, and it took him an additional month to regain his form.
Hejda was a plus-43 during his first two seasons with the Blue Jackets. This season, however, has been a struggle as the knee problem, coupled with rotating blue-line partners, have not allowed him to find his comfort zone. He entered last night’s game minus-14 with three goals and 10 assists.
Perhaps it just isn’t the Blue Jackets’ year. Hejda and fellow blue line leader Rostislav Klesla have been fighting injuries for most of the season, leaving the team with an unexpectedly porous defense. When you add those issues to the resounding crash of Steve Mason and the (in my opinion, misguided) firing of coach Ken Hitchcock, things are looking awfully grim for a franchise that just last year looked to finally be on the rise.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)