Mar 15, 2010, 6:35 PM EDT
Ugh, I guess we all better strap in for 24/7 dirty hit talk eh? It seems like you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting … someone who’s discussing another violent and/or illegal moment in hockey (don’t worry NHL, the college kids are doing it too!). Since we only have three games I’ll go in order of start time, but clearly Red Wings-Flames is the game of the night. Actually, scratch that, any game that doesn’t involve someone’s career possibly ending in a horrible hit wins that contest.
Boston Bruins (30-25-12, 72 pts) at New Jersey Devils (40-24-3, 83 pts) 7:00 PM ET
Maybe the Devils should try to picture a skating Penguin instead of that iconic spoked B logo on the Bruins’ sweaters tonight. New Jersey once again handles Pittsburgh last week, only to lose to the lowly Islanders in their next game. If the Bruins don’t start putting up points, Sunday’s upcoming Game of the Week could have huge eight seed implications.
Edmonton Oilers (21-40-7, 49 pts) at Columbus Blue Jackets (27-31-11, 65 pts) 7:00 PM ET
The gap between the West’s second-to-last team Columbus and the worst team Edmonton is too large to really say that this one decided who wins the brown medal. Still, it’s difficult to say that the future is any brighter for the Blue Jackets.
Detroit Red Wings (33-23-12, 78 pts) at Calgary Flames (34-25-9, 77 pts) 9:30 PM ET
Now, this is a big game. Detroit and Calgary are separated by only one point with the same amount of games played. Although the Flames trail the Red Wings, they have more wins (34 to Detroit’s 33) so even an overtime or shootout win would place Calgary in Detroit’s eight spot. Obviously there’s still plenty of games left in this season, but this is a huge game for both teams.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5