Mar 15, 2010, 6:35 PM EDT
Ugh, I guess we all better strap in for 24/7 dirty hit talk eh? It seems like you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting … someone who’s discussing another violent and/or illegal moment in hockey (don’t worry NHL, the college kids are doing it too!). Since we only have three games I’ll go in order of start time, but clearly Red Wings-Flames is the game of the night. Actually, scratch that, any game that doesn’t involve someone’s career possibly ending in a horrible hit wins that contest.
Boston Bruins (30-25-12, 72 pts) at New Jersey Devils (40-24-3, 83 pts) 7:00 PM ET
Maybe the Devils should try to picture a skating Penguin instead of that iconic spoked B logo on the Bruins’ sweaters tonight. New Jersey once again handles Pittsburgh last week, only to lose to the lowly Islanders in their next game. If the Bruins don’t start putting up points, Sunday’s upcoming Game of the Week could have huge eight seed implications.
Edmonton Oilers (21-40-7, 49 pts) at Columbus Blue Jackets (27-31-11, 65 pts) 7:00 PM ET
The gap between the West’s second-to-last team Columbus and the worst team Edmonton is too large to really say that this one decided who wins the brown medal. Still, it’s difficult to say that the future is any brighter for the Blue Jackets.
Detroit Red Wings (33-23-12, 78 pts) at Calgary Flames (34-25-9, 77 pts) 9:30 PM ET
Now, this is a big game. Detroit and Calgary are separated by only one point with the same amount of games played. Although the Flames trail the Red Wings, they have more wins (34 to Detroit’s 33) so even an overtime or shootout win would place Calgary in Detroit’s eight spot. Obviously there’s still plenty of games left in this season, but this is a huge game for both teams.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks