Mar 15, 2010, 12:12 PM EDT
A decision on whether Alex Ovechkin is suspended because of
yesterday’s hit will come down within hours, as Alex Ovechkin is
currently in a hearing with Colin Campbell, the NHL’s dean of
Whether he deserves a suspension is the subject of
intense debate right now, as it seems the mitigating factor has to do
with Brian Campbell’s potentially season-ending injury. It seems that
the NHL had originally decided not to suspend Ovechkin but has possibly
changed it’s mind after the news of Campbell’s injury came out this
morning. That the severity of the injury should affect the punishment is
one I cannot agree with, but it’s certainly a factor in Colin
Here are some of the highlights of the Twitter debate waging as
we speak, from some of the best hockey writers around, after the jump.
I will be
surprised if Ovechkin is not suspended for a couple of games. Campbell’s
injury is the big factor now.
As for whether
injury should be a factor, debate it all day, but it is a primary
consideration. In life, as well as the NHL.
Pick your example:
DUI, lose ur license. Injure somone while DUI, maybe jail. Bar fight?
Simple assault. Injure someone badly. All bets off.
Suspending b/c of
We’re really bringing “real world”
criminal examples into a sport that features simple assaults every
Elliote Friedman: ough day for NHL
— Savard injury is more serious than Campbell’s, but league can’t say
there’s nothing in rules about hitting from behind.
Doesn’t help that
this involves Pittsburgh (Cooke) and Washington. Two teams are very
sensitive about how each other is treated.
NHL had no plans
to suspend Ovechkin on Sunday. If they’ve changed their minds now, Caps
obviously squawking to the league over Campbell injury. They may get
their way. Some teams have more pull, I guess.
This is the new
NHL “code.” No matter what, scream for the other guy to get suspended.
It just might happen.
I feel for Colie
Campbell. It’s an impossible job. But without a set of parameters, it
looks like making it up as they go along.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 10
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)