Mar 15, 2010, 12:12 PM EDT
A decision on whether Alex Ovechkin is suspended because of
yesterday’s hit will come down within hours, as Alex Ovechkin is
currently in a hearing with Colin Campbell, the NHL’s dean of
Whether he deserves a suspension is the subject of
intense debate right now, as it seems the mitigating factor has to do
with Brian Campbell’s potentially season-ending injury. It seems that
the NHL had originally decided not to suspend Ovechkin but has possibly
changed it’s mind after the news of Campbell’s injury came out this
morning. That the severity of the injury should affect the punishment is
one I cannot agree with, but it’s certainly a factor in Colin
Here are some of the highlights of the Twitter debate waging as
we speak, from some of the best hockey writers around, after the jump.
I will be
surprised if Ovechkin is not suspended for a couple of games. Campbell’s
injury is the big factor now.
As for whether
injury should be a factor, debate it all day, but it is a primary
consideration. In life, as well as the NHL.
Pick your example:
DUI, lose ur license. Injure somone while DUI, maybe jail. Bar fight?
Simple assault. Injure someone badly. All bets off.
Suspending b/c of
We’re really bringing “real world”
criminal examples into a sport that features simple assaults every
Elliote Friedman: ough day for NHL
— Savard injury is more serious than Campbell’s, but league can’t say
there’s nothing in rules about hitting from behind.
Doesn’t help that
this involves Pittsburgh (Cooke) and Washington. Two teams are very
sensitive about how each other is treated.
NHL had no plans
to suspend Ovechkin on Sunday. If they’ve changed their minds now, Caps
obviously squawking to the league over Campbell injury. They may get
their way. Some teams have more pull, I guess.
This is the new
NHL “code.” No matter what, scream for the other guy to get suspended.
It just might happen.
I feel for Colie
Campbell. It’s an impossible job. But without a set of parameters, it
looks like making it up as they go along.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)