Mar 15, 2010, 12:12 PM EST
A decision on whether Alex Ovechkin is suspended because of
yesterday’s hit will come down within hours, as Alex Ovechkin is
currently in a hearing with Colin Campbell, the NHL’s dean of
Whether he deserves a suspension is the subject of
intense debate right now, as it seems the mitigating factor has to do
with Brian Campbell’s potentially season-ending injury. It seems that
the NHL had originally decided not to suspend Ovechkin but has possibly
changed it’s mind after the news of Campbell’s injury came out this
morning. That the severity of the injury should affect the punishment is
one I cannot agree with, but it’s certainly a factor in Colin
Here are some of the highlights of the Twitter debate waging as
we speak, from some of the best hockey writers around, after the jump.
I will be
surprised if Ovechkin is not suspended for a couple of games. Campbell’s
injury is the big factor now.
As for whether
injury should be a factor, debate it all day, but it is a primary
consideration. In life, as well as the NHL.
Pick your example:
DUI, lose ur license. Injure somone while DUI, maybe jail. Bar fight?
Simple assault. Injure someone badly. All bets off.
Suspending b/c of
We’re really bringing “real world”
criminal examples into a sport that features simple assaults every
Elliote Friedman: ough day for NHL
— Savard injury is more serious than Campbell’s, but league can’t say
there’s nothing in rules about hitting from behind.
Doesn’t help that
this involves Pittsburgh (Cooke) and Washington. Two teams are very
sensitive about how each other is treated.
NHL had no plans
to suspend Ovechkin on Sunday. If they’ve changed their minds now, Caps
obviously squawking to the league over Campbell injury. They may get
their way. Some teams have more pull, I guess.
This is the new
NHL “code.” No matter what, scream for the other guy to get suspended.
It just might happen.
I feel for Colie
Campbell. It’s an impossible job. But without a set of parameters, it
looks like making it up as they go along.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)