Mar 15, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Things are starting to heat up now. With the NHL under fire from all
directions regarding illegal hits, head shots and suspensions — or lack
thereof — it appears the league is working to get a new rule in place
this season that would deem all blindside hits illegal.
The NHL is now seriously considering the possibility of expediting
the approval process to implement the rule before the end of this
Rule changes or additions must be endorsed by the joint NHL-NHLPA
competition committee and would also require NHL Board approval as well.
It’s believed both could be handled electronically with the Board’s
vote accomplished by fax.
What could take some time in this situation is the fact that the
NHLPA needs to consult with the players on it’s competition committee:
Brian Campbell, Jeff Halpern, Ryan Miller, Mathieu Schneider and Jason
Spezza. Dreger says that the NHLPA does not intend to delay the new
rule, but wants to make sure the rule encompasses everything the players
think should be covered.
This is a great example of just how serious this issue has become,
and how the NHL is fighting to regain some ground in what has become a
PR nightmare throughout this entire season.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)