Mar 15, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Things are starting to heat up now. With the NHL under fire from all
directions regarding illegal hits, head shots and suspensions — or lack
thereof — it appears the league is working to get a new rule in place
this season that would deem all blindside hits illegal.
The NHL is now seriously considering the possibility of expediting
the approval process to implement the rule before the end of this
Rule changes or additions must be endorsed by the joint NHL-NHLPA
competition committee and would also require NHL Board approval as well.
It’s believed both could be handled electronically with the Board’s
vote accomplished by fax.
What could take some time in this situation is the fact that the
NHLPA needs to consult with the players on it’s competition committee:
Brian Campbell, Jeff Halpern, Ryan Miller, Mathieu Schneider and Jason
Spezza. Dreger says that the NHLPA does not intend to delay the new
rule, but wants to make sure the rule encompasses everything the players
think should be covered.
This is a great example of just how serious this issue has become,
and how the NHL is fighting to regain some ground in what has become a
PR nightmare throughout this entire season.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)