Mar 15, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Things are starting to heat up now. With the NHL under fire from all
directions regarding illegal hits, head shots and suspensions — or lack
thereof — it appears the league is working to get a new rule in place
this season that would deem all blindside hits illegal.
The NHL is now seriously considering the possibility of expediting
the approval process to implement the rule before the end of this
Rule changes or additions must be endorsed by the joint NHL-NHLPA
competition committee and would also require NHL Board approval as well.
It’s believed both could be handled electronically with the Board’s
vote accomplished by fax.
What could take some time in this situation is the fact that the
NHLPA needs to consult with the players on it’s competition committee:
Brian Campbell, Jeff Halpern, Ryan Miller, Mathieu Schneider and Jason
Spezza. Dreger says that the NHLPA does not intend to delay the new
rule, but wants to make sure the rule encompasses everything the players
think should be covered.
This is a great example of just how serious this issue has become,
and how the NHL is fighting to regain some ground in what has become a
PR nightmare throughout this entire season.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 6
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 39
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 20
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 23
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 130
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)