Mar 15, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Things are starting to heat up now. With the NHL under fire from all
directions regarding illegal hits, head shots and suspensions — or lack
thereof — it appears the league is working to get a new rule in place
this season that would deem all blindside hits illegal.
The NHL is now seriously considering the possibility of expediting
the approval process to implement the rule before the end of this
Rule changes or additions must be endorsed by the joint NHL-NHLPA
competition committee and would also require NHL Board approval as well.
It’s believed both could be handled electronically with the Board’s
vote accomplished by fax.
What could take some time in this situation is the fact that the
NHLPA needs to consult with the players on it’s competition committee:
Brian Campbell, Jeff Halpern, Ryan Miller, Mathieu Schneider and Jason
Spezza. Dreger says that the NHLPA does not intend to delay the new
rule, but wants to make sure the rule encompasses everything the players
think should be covered.
This is a great example of just how serious this issue has become,
and how the NHL is fighting to regain some ground in what has become a
PR nightmare throughout this entire season.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)