Mar 15, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
Things are starting to heat up now. With the NHL under fire from all
directions regarding illegal hits, head shots and suspensions — or lack
thereof — it appears the league is working to get a new rule in place
this season that would deem all blindside hits illegal.
The NHL is now seriously considering the possibility of expediting
the approval process to implement the rule before the end of this
Rule changes or additions must be endorsed by the joint NHL-NHLPA
competition committee and would also require NHL Board approval as well.
It’s believed both could be handled electronically with the Board’s
vote accomplished by fax.
What could take some time in this situation is the fact that the
NHLPA needs to consult with the players on it’s competition committee:
Brian Campbell, Jeff Halpern, Ryan Miller, Mathieu Schneider and Jason
Spezza. Dreger says that the NHLPA does not intend to delay the new
rule, but wants to make sure the rule encompasses everything the players
think should be covered.
This is a great example of just how serious this issue has become,
and how the NHL is fighting to regain some ground in what has become a
PR nightmare throughout this entire season.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)