Mar 15, 2010, 9:56 AM EST
a shocker: Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray is angry about the Olympics,
and how the Ducks season has fallen apart after returning from the
“We went in playing well and came out dead,”
referring to the team’s 14-6 surge before the Olympic break and an 0-4-1
nosedive in the Ducks’ first five games after the break. “We were
petrified of this (happening) because we had so many (Olympians). But
there’s no explanation for it. Disappointment is the best word I can
“Olympic hangover?” he said, repeating the words that
repugnant to him. “Excuses are for losers. You knew the level of play
was going to be higher coming out of the Olympics than it was going in.
That’s just the way our game is. You have to want it bad. Bottom line,
we don’t have enough guys wanting it bad.”
soon as I heard Murray’s statement about excuses being for losers, my
mind instantly remembered this famous movie
quote (NSFW). Are the Olympics to blame? Tough to say that’s not a
major factor in the Ducks falling out of the playoff hunt.
players and the coaches are ultimately responsible for their own play,
and excuses have to be left in the locker room. Murray is exactly right:
the players just haven’t wanted it bad enough. It’s not like the rest
of the league is suffering from a post-Olympics letdown.
To make matters worse, Ryan Getzlaf and Teemu Selanne were injured last night, and both are going to be re-evaluated today. Both could just be day-to-day, but it’s certainly just insult to, uhh, injury at this point. And the Ducks actually won last night.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11