Mar 15, 2010, 6:15 PM EST
Nervous satellite having hockey fans can put away their pitchforks and torches, two huge media corporations can briefly end their large scale slap fight and the NHL can breathe a huge sigh of relief. DirecTV and Comcast have come to an agreement to allow Versus to appear in DirecTV’s rotation.
Versus was pulled off DirecTV’s programing packages in August 2009 after both sides were unable to agree on fee terms.
DirecTV claimed Comcast, the largest U.S. cable company, had forced it to pull down Versus even though it said it was already paying Comcast more than any other non-Comcast distributor to air Versus. It said at the time that Comcast was demanding an overall hike of 20 percent on top of that.
The No. 1 U.S. satellite operator, which has 18.6 million subscribers, prides itself on being a leading sports programing provider.
I don’t think I’m the only person who wondered if hockey fans would miss playoff games because of this dispute. While it’s a shame that this squabble gobbled up most of the regular season schedule for the NHL’s national cable network, losing that extensive playoff coverage would have been devastating.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (68)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)