Mar 15, 2010, 3:50 AM EDT
Instead of missing three regular season games, it appears that Brian Campbell will miss at least the rest of the regular season with a broken collarbone from the much discussed hit on Sunday. Here’s the word from Second City Hockey.
He’ll likely miss the regular season and could miss some significant time in the post-season too. The Hawks power play will certainly suffer in the meantime (if that’s possible) but the real problem we’re going to see is the transition game for the Blackhawks. As Sam noted in the game recap – the Hawks absolutely need a defenseman that can get the play going towards the opponents net – and Campbell is that guy. Expect Kim Johnsson to log some bigger minutes now that Campbell is gone for a while.
After giving it some thought, I originally assumed that Alex Ovechkin would get off without a suspension and that still could be the case. No doubt about it, though, serious injuries bring these situations into the spotlight. Hopefully Campbell will recover in time for the playoffs. I’m not so sure though.
So, what’s your take, hockey fans? Should Ovechkin get a slap on the wrist or was a game misconduct and five minute penalty sufficient enough?
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22