Mar 14, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
Last week, I remarked that there was a surprising air of flattery leading up to the Chicago-Detroit game of the week. This Sunday morning, I’m not quite as taken aback; after all, these two teams sport high octane offenses, huge leads in their divisions and seemingly similar flaws to boot. Which city’s papers and blogs will out-gush each other? Let’s find out.
The Talk in Chicago:
The Chicago Tribune really brought its A(O?) game for Hawks-Caps. Here’s a look at some of their better work.
Interesting column, shaky headline: “He’s fashionably GR8″ compares Ovechkin’s flashiness with Jonathan Toews’ serious nature. A quick snippet:
Toews goes by “Captain Serious.” Ovechkin goes by his own rules.
When Ovechkin launched a designer streetwear line in his native Russia last summer, he arrived for a publicity event in a double-decker Hummer limousine. The vehicle was loaded; mostly with women – models and singers from Russian pop bands. Asked by a local TV journalist whether he preferred blondes or brunettes, Ovechkin answered, “Redheads.”
More Ovechkin (and eventually Mike Green, Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Semin love) in this quick preview.
Finally, Second City Hockey has an … interesting preview of Chicago-Washington.
What they’re saying in Washington:
To counter, The Washington Post brings some good perspective of their own (although it most be noted that the Tribune featured hockey more prominently on their sports’ front page and seemed to have more colorful takes on the game).
The Capitals are ready to begin a week-long road trip in Chicago this afternoon. The White House responds to the many requests to get president Barack Obama to attend a Caps game. Apparently Washington already clinched their soft decision.
The always-reliable Washington Captials blog Japers’ Rink also has a nice roundup of Caps-related links.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)