Mar 14, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Last week, I remarked that there was a surprising air of flattery leading up to the Chicago-Detroit game of the week. This Sunday morning, I’m not quite as taken aback; after all, these two teams sport high octane offenses, huge leads in their divisions and seemingly similar flaws to boot. Which city’s papers and blogs will out-gush each other? Let’s find out.
The Talk in Chicago:
The Chicago Tribune really brought its A(O?) game for Hawks-Caps. Here’s a look at some of their better work.
Interesting column, shaky headline: “He’s fashionably GR8″ compares Ovechkin’s flashiness with Jonathan Toews’ serious nature. A quick snippet:
Toews goes by “Captain Serious.” Ovechkin goes by his own rules.
When Ovechkin launched a designer streetwear line in his native Russia last summer, he arrived for a publicity event in a double-decker Hummer limousine. The vehicle was loaded; mostly with women – models and singers from Russian pop bands. Asked by a local TV journalist whether he preferred blondes or brunettes, Ovechkin answered, “Redheads.”
More Ovechkin (and eventually Mike Green, Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Semin love) in this quick preview.
Finally, Second City Hockey has an … interesting preview of Chicago-Washington.
What they’re saying in Washington:
To counter, The Washington Post brings some good perspective of their own (although it most be noted that the Tribune featured hockey more prominently on their sports’ front page and seemed to have more colorful takes on the game).
The Capitals are ready to begin a week-long road trip in Chicago this afternoon. The White House responds to the many requests to get president Barack Obama to attend a Caps game. Apparently Washington already clinched their soft decision.
The always-reliable Washington Captials blog Japers’ Rink also has a nice roundup of Caps-related links.
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 17
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 67
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 33
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona