Mar 14, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
Last week, I remarked that there was a surprising air of flattery leading up to the Chicago-Detroit game of the week. This Sunday morning, I’m not quite as taken aback; after all, these two teams sport high octane offenses, huge leads in their divisions and seemingly similar flaws to boot. Which city’s papers and blogs will out-gush each other? Let’s find out.
The Talk in Chicago:
The Chicago Tribune really brought its A(O?) game for Hawks-Caps. Here’s a look at some of their better work.
Interesting column, shaky headline: “He’s fashionably GR8″ compares Ovechkin’s flashiness with Jonathan Toews’ serious nature. A quick snippet:
Toews goes by “Captain Serious.” Ovechkin goes by his own rules.
When Ovechkin launched a designer streetwear line in his native Russia last summer, he arrived for a publicity event in a double-decker Hummer limousine. The vehicle was loaded; mostly with women – models and singers from Russian pop bands. Asked by a local TV journalist whether he preferred blondes or brunettes, Ovechkin answered, “Redheads.”
More Ovechkin (and eventually Mike Green, Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Semin love) in this quick preview.
Finally, Second City Hockey has an … interesting preview of Chicago-Washington.
What they’re saying in Washington:
To counter, The Washington Post brings some good perspective of their own (although it most be noted that the Tribune featured hockey more prominently on their sports’ front page and seemed to have more colorful takes on the game).
The Capitals are ready to begin a week-long road trip in Chicago this afternoon. The White House responds to the many requests to get president Barack Obama to attend a Caps game. Apparently Washington already clinched their soft decision.
The always-reliable Washington Captials blog Japers’ Rink also has a nice roundup of Caps-related links.
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 1
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 27
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 44
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15