Mar 14, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
Regardless of whether you look at Alex Ovechkin’s hit on Brian Campbell as dirty, clean or somewhere in between, there’s no question that the redheaded defenseman crashed into the boards in a violent way. One has to wonder how much time the expensive but talented player will miss. Apparently he’ll be sidelined for at least three games, according to ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers.
Coach Joel Quenneville couldn’t say for sure that the injury would not affect him the rest of the season.
“We’ll see. We’ll get a better assessment as we go along here,” Quenneville said. “Soupy [Campbell] is going to be out for a bit here…It was a tough hit. A dangerous hit.”
While I’ve been critical of Campbell’s annual $7.1 million cap hit, it’s not his fault that the Blackhawks made such an excessive offer. He’s still a good – just not a great - player, with 38 points this season and an average of 23 minutes on ice per game. Let’s hope he gets healthy soon.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)