Mar 14, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
Regardless of whether you look at Alex Ovechkin’s hit on Brian Campbell as dirty, clean or somewhere in between, there’s no question that the redheaded defenseman crashed into the boards in a violent way. One has to wonder how much time the expensive but talented player will miss. Apparently he’ll be sidelined for at least three games, according to ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers.
Coach Joel Quenneville couldn’t say for sure that the injury would not affect him the rest of the season.
“We’ll see. We’ll get a better assessment as we go along here,” Quenneville said. “Soupy [Campbell] is going to be out for a bit here…It was a tough hit. A dangerous hit.”
While I’ve been critical of Campbell’s annual $7.1 million cap hit, it’s not his fault that the Blackhawks made such an excessive offer. He’s still a good – just not a great – player, with 38 points this season and an average of 23 minutes on ice per game. Let’s hope he gets healthy soon.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 38
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 115
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (115)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)