Mar 14, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
Regardless of whether you look at Alex Ovechkin’s hit on Brian Campbell as dirty, clean or somewhere in between, there’s no question that the redheaded defenseman crashed into the boards in a violent way. One has to wonder how much time the expensive but talented player will miss. Apparently he’ll be sidelined for at least three games, according to ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers.
Coach Joel Quenneville couldn’t say for sure that the injury would not affect him the rest of the season.
“We’ll see. We’ll get a better assessment as we go along here,” Quenneville said. “Soupy [Campbell] is going to be out for a bit here…It was a tough hit. A dangerous hit.”
While I’ve been critical of Campbell’s annual $7.1 million cap hit, it’s not his fault that the Blackhawks made such an excessive offer. He’s still a good – just not a great - player, with 38 points this season and an average of 23 minutes on ice per game. Let’s hope he gets healthy soon.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)