Mar 14, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
Regardless of whether you look at Alex Ovechkin’s hit on Brian Campbell as dirty, clean or somewhere in between, there’s no question that the redheaded defenseman crashed into the boards in a violent way. One has to wonder how much time the expensive but talented player will miss. Apparently he’ll be sidelined for at least three games, according to ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers.
Coach Joel Quenneville couldn’t say for sure that the injury would not affect him the rest of the season.
“We’ll see. We’ll get a better assessment as we go along here,” Quenneville said. “Soupy [Campbell] is going to be out for a bit here…It was a tough hit. A dangerous hit.”
While I’ve been critical of Campbell’s annual $7.1 million cap hit, it’s not his fault that the Blackhawks made such an excessive offer. He’s still a good – just not a great – player, with 38 points this season and an average of 23 minutes on ice per game. Let’s hope he gets healthy soon.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 16
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 24
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)