Mar 13, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Some might call it life imitating art, but news of the Slapshot-milking Johnstown Chiefs’ probable relocation to South Carolina cannot be that sad, right? The people of Johnstown voted to name the team after the popular movie in 1988 and so the club spent an impressive 22 years of minor league hockey in the small town. (thanks to Tapeleg for correcting me regarding the history of the team’s name).
Most of Slapshot’s one-liners are genuinely unpublishable, but here is one anthology of the film’s best quotes. Instead of going over the movie’s best lines, let’s instead look at which other mainstream* hockey movies are worth seeing (and which absolutely are not).
Other hockey movies worth seeing
The first Mighty Ducks – Yeah, they’re by no means works of art but no movies converted more kids to hockey fans than these goofy Disney films. Besides, every self respecting American hockey fan needs to make occasional knuckle-puck and Flying V jokes.
Miracle – Kurt Russell is fantastic as Herb Brooks. The hockey scenes are thrilling and beautifully choreographed. The speeches are amazing (“you’ll take it to your grave!”). Most importantly, you can imagine your team doing Herbies after a bad game even though that never happens in the NHL.
The Rocket – It’s not a perfect film, but the cinematography is fantastic and Sean Avery gets pummeled in it.
Happy Gilmore – Remember when Adam Sandler was bearable-to-funny? Apollo Creed and Ben Stiller really bring this one home with their absurd cameos. Bob Barker was amusing but started a discouraging trend of stunt casting in comedies.
Hockey movies to avoid
The Love Guru – Mike Myers, please stop. Please. Stop.
Youngblood – Look, I understand enjoying films ironically but liking this movie borders on masochism.
D3 – The second unnecessary sequel to The Mighty Ducks. Wow, this is really bad.
Sudden Death – I’m a Penguins fan, but seriously, this movie is atrocious.
* – There are some documentaries that are supposed to be pretty good, but I haven’t seen all of them.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)