Mar 13, 2010, 2:28 PM EST
For some reason I find the Scott Nichol situation intensely fascinating. Here’s a guy who came within inches of a potentially serious injury as the result of a severely careless play by Maxim Lapierre, and not only does he harbor no ill feelings towards Lapierre but he says he’s fine with the ref who didn’t call a penalty.
Last night, in his first game back since hurting his shoulder, Nichol played with referee Chris Lee officiating the game. Unlike the Alex Burrows-Stephane Auger incident, Nichol maintained that he never intended to say anything to Lee about the hit.
During the game, it was tough to miss the lengthy conversation he had with Lee after Nichol was assessed a questionable high-sticking penalty. What did he say?
Nichol was objecting to the high-sticking call, saying Martin Erat
actually used his own stick to lift Nichol’s and that’s when Nichol’s
stick struct Erat. At one point, Nichol said, he mentioned that he
didn’t even have full strength in his arm — at which point Lee gave him a
“sorry about that” with regards to the call he missed March 4 against
Here’s Nichol reiterating his stance on Lapierre’s hit:
“Like I said before,” Nichol said, “it’s a fast game and a lot of things
happen in a split second. There are no hard feelings for sure.”
Lapierre received a four-game suspension for the hit, and while it was careless it certainly didn’t appear to be malicious. It’s refreshing to see a player ale to just move on.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)