Mar 13, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
For some reason I find the Scott Nichol situation intensely fascinating. Here’s a guy who came within inches of a potentially serious injury as the result of a severely careless play by Maxim Lapierre, and not only does he harbor no ill feelings towards Lapierre but he says he’s fine with the ref who didn’t call a penalty.
Last night, in his first game back since hurting his shoulder, Nichol played with referee Chris Lee officiating the game. Unlike the Alex Burrows-Stephane Auger incident, Nichol maintained that he never intended to say anything to Lee about the hit.
During the game, it was tough to miss the lengthy conversation he had with Lee after Nichol was assessed a questionable high-sticking penalty. What did he say?
Nichol was objecting to the high-sticking call, saying Martin Erat
actually used his own stick to lift Nichol’s and that’s when Nichol’s
stick struct Erat. At one point, Nichol said, he mentioned that he
didn’t even have full strength in his arm — at which point Lee gave him a
“sorry about that” with regards to the call he missed March 4 against
Here’s Nichol reiterating his stance on Lapierre’s hit:
“Like I said before,” Nichol said, “it’s a fast game and a lot of things
happen in a split second. There are no hard feelings for sure.”
Lapierre received a four-game suspension for the hit, and while it was careless it certainly didn’t appear to be malicious. It’s refreshing to see a player ale to just move on.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)