Mar 13, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
For some reason I find the Scott Nichol situation intensely fascinating. Here’s a guy who came within inches of a potentially serious injury as the result of a severely careless play by Maxim Lapierre, and not only does he harbor no ill feelings towards Lapierre but he says he’s fine with the ref who didn’t call a penalty.
Last night, in his first game back since hurting his shoulder, Nichol played with referee Chris Lee officiating the game. Unlike the Alex Burrows-Stephane Auger incident, Nichol maintained that he never intended to say anything to Lee about the hit.
During the game, it was tough to miss the lengthy conversation he had with Lee after Nichol was assessed a questionable high-sticking penalty. What did he say?
Nichol was objecting to the high-sticking call, saying Martin Erat
actually used his own stick to lift Nichol’s and that’s when Nichol’s
stick struct Erat. At one point, Nichol said, he mentioned that he
didn’t even have full strength in his arm — at which point Lee gave him a
“sorry about that” with regards to the call he missed March 4 against
Here’s Nichol reiterating his stance on Lapierre’s hit:
“Like I said before,” Nichol said, “it’s a fast game and a lot of things
happen in a split second. There are no hard feelings for sure.”
Lapierre received a four-game suspension for the hit, and while it was careless it certainly didn’t appear to be malicious. It’s refreshing to see a player ale to just move on.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 17
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 55
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control