Mar 13, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Greg Holt of the Bobcats scored with 10:22 remaining in the fifth overtime to give Quinnipiac the win in the ECAC best-of-three quarterfinal series.
At 150 minutes and 22 seconds, it was the longest game in college hockey history. The previous record was set in 2006, when Yale beat Union College 3-2 in a game that was 141 minutes and 35 seconds long.
The best/worst part is that the two teams’ series will continue Saturday night. Something tells me that there might some tired legs in that one.
Some of my favorite (and most tortured) hockey memories involve epic – seemingly eternal – overtime games in the playoffs. Such games can turn a series (as Keith Primeau did for the Flyers) but that isn’t a solid rule (think of Petr Sykora extending the 2008 Stanley Cup Finals only for Detroit to take the Cup in Pittsburgh). Dallas Stars fans are grizzled veterans of marathon games, in particular.
Feel free to share some of your favorite moments from the league’s many nearly never-ending stories. Nothing matches the nail biting tension and eerie atmosphere of a multiple overtime game in the NHL playoffs.
Did I mention that the playoffs are coming soon?
(Further reading: Sean Leahy shares some “fun facts” from that crazy game.)
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)