Mar 13, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Greg Holt of the Bobcats scored with 10:22 remaining in the fifth overtime to give Quinnipiac the win in the ECAC best-of-three quarterfinal series.
At 150 minutes and 22 seconds, it was the longest game in college hockey history. The previous record was set in 2006, when Yale beat Union College 3-2 in a game that was 141 minutes and 35 seconds long.
The best/worst part is that the two teams’ series will continue Saturday night. Something tells me that there might some tired legs in that one.
Some of my favorite (and most tortured) hockey memories involve epic – seemingly eternal – overtime games in the playoffs. Such games can turn a series (as Keith Primeau did for the Flyers) but that isn’t a solid rule (think of Petr Sykora extending the 2008 Stanley Cup Finals only for Detroit to take the Cup in Pittsburgh). Dallas Stars fans are grizzled veterans of marathon games, in particular.
Feel free to share some of your favorite moments from the league’s many nearly never-ending stories. Nothing matches the nail biting tension and eerie atmosphere of a multiple overtime game in the NHL playoffs.
Did I mention that the playoffs are coming soon?
(Further reading: Sean Leahy shares some “fun facts” from that crazy game.)
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 2
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 38
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas