Mar 13, 2010, 7:30 PM EST
It’s no secret that I’ve been extremely critical of the the Chicago Blackhawks lately; they are a great team and are in prime position for a Stanley Cup run but I’m one of many that is convinced their goaltending is not good enough.
After today’s loss to the Flyers, I’m not certain whether my concerns have been validated or proven wrong.
On one hand, I thought Cristobal Huet played well enough. But the Blackhawks were felled by even better goaltending on the other end. And while their team defense has been touted as the best in the NHL all season long, it was a critical mistake in the final seconds that led to Chris Pronger’s winning goal.
So will the exceptional offense of the Blackhawks be able to overcome their shortcomings elsewhere? Today it wasn’t. But perhaps today was just an example of a team getting beat by great goaltending — it happens all the time and it’s certainly nothing to get worried about in the long run. If it was just once.
I will say that Huet’s reaction to Pronger’s goal was alarming. Goaltenders get angry all the time, but his slamming and breaking of his stick on the goal post spoke of an underlying frustration that has to be eating at Huet from the inside. This is certainly not what the Hawks need to be dealing with, especially with a big game coming up tomorrow against
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)