Mar 13, 2010, 7:30 PM EST
It’s no secret that I’ve been extremely critical of the the Chicago Blackhawks lately; they are a great team and are in prime position for a Stanley Cup run but I’m one of many that is convinced their goaltending is not good enough.
After today’s loss to the Flyers, I’m not certain whether my concerns have been validated or proven wrong.
On one hand, I thought Cristobal Huet played well enough. But the Blackhawks were felled by even better goaltending on the other end. And while their team defense has been touted as the best in the NHL all season long, it was a critical mistake in the final seconds that led to Chris Pronger’s winning goal.
So will the exceptional offense of the Blackhawks be able to overcome their shortcomings elsewhere? Today it wasn’t. But perhaps today was just an example of a team getting beat by great goaltending — it happens all the time and it’s certainly nothing to get worried about in the long run. If it was just once.
I will say that Huet’s reaction to Pronger’s goal was alarming. Goaltenders get angry all the time, but his slamming and breaking of his stick on the goal post spoke of an underlying frustration that has to be eating at Huet from the inside. This is certainly not what the Hawks need to be dealing with, especially with a big game coming up tomorrow against
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)