Mar 13, 2010, 9:00 PM EST
Every once in a while, we’ll come across stories that are
too strange to pass up. Sometimes we’ll get a tip from an e-mail;
sometimes will stumble across something bizarre on a hockey site. Either
way, this might not be the most “pertinent” information but it
certainly will be strange, funny or a bit “off.”
Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution talked to some of the
Atlanta Thrashers about their ‘odd’ rituals before games. Here’s a few:
Hedberg warms up before games the exact same way each time, with Slava
Koslov taking shots at his glove and then his blocker side.
Quote: “I’ve tried to take away every superstition I’ve had.
There are times when some things start creeping in on me again, but I
stop doing them. I don’t want to have stupid habits.”
Kozlov laces his right skate first before each practice.
Before a game, he laces his left skate first.
Quote: “Sometimes I don’t even pay attention, and that’s how I
do it. It comes from the memory.”
He has some others, from Chris Thorburn, Maxim Afinogenov and John
Anderson. They’re all pretty vanilla “this is how I warm up each night”
type stuff. It’s always interesting to read about the players’ routines,
but I’d like to hear about some of the more…juicy stuff.
Actually, after I think about it I’d rather not hear about anyone’s
tradition when it comes to their jock strap or their skate lining.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 79
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (80)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (74)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)