Mar 13, 2010, 8:50 PM EDT
I’m not going to blame the Olympic break for the losing streak that
the Anaheim Ducks are going through (0-4-1 since the Olympics), but it’s
certainly tough not to look at the break as a big factor. The Ducks
were 5-2-0 leading up to the break and were making a push for a playoff
spot after a disappointing start to the season.
Yet now the Ducks
can pretty much write their playoffs hopes off, ten points back with 14
games remaining. What’s led to the slump, after such a strong February?
Getzlaf playing horribly doesn’t help much.
got to do a better job of moving his feet,” [Ducks coach Randy] Carlyle
said. “I think
in the games that his effectiveness is where we’re accustomed to, he
has the puck and he’s moving with it. And I find he’s standing still,
trying to make too many plays.”
Getzlaf is the team’s
leading scorer yet he’s making too many negative plays for someone who
is supposedly the captain-in-waiting. Was his time in the Olympics to
blame for this letdown he’s going through now?
from a high level of hockey where you’re competing for a gold
medal and then you come back and now you’re competing for the playoffs,”
he said. “It’s not a letdown. If anything it’s another pickup and it
just keeps going and going.”
It’s one heck of a
coincidence, the way his play has declined since coming back from
Vancouver. When mentioning why having the NHL players in the Olympics is
a detriment to the league, these sorts of drops in playing level is one
of the first reasons that is brought up.
Tough to blame one
player for an entire team’s troubles, however. Unless it’s the
goaltender, of course.
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 0
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 11
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 10
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (82)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)