Mar 13, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Seeing a healthy and refreshed Jaromir Jagr playing for the Czech
Republic during the Olympics instantly raised the question of whether he
would be returning to the NHL this summer, after his KHL contract expires.
He’s certainly not the Jagr of just five years ago, but he would be
welcome and needed on a team looking to instantly improve next season
and looking for veteran leadership.
A team like the Edmonton Oilers,
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun — keep the comments to
yourself — mentions that Jagr could be interested in re-teaming with
Oilers assistant coach Tom Renney. But
should Edmonton make such a move?
“I just don’t
know about Jagr. I understand why (the Oilers) want to
make the move, I’m just not sure they should do it. I’m not sure if
there is any gas left in that tank,” said one league executive.
with all of the decisions the Oilers have made in the past year,
signing Jagr would be one heck of a step in the right direction. Sure he’s
not the offensive powerhouse he once was but no one can doubt his
leadership qualities, something that Edmonton is in dire need of moving
forward. The New York Rangers still carry on his tradition of saluting
the fans after every home game.
Personally, I’d love to see Jagr
back in the NHL. Only if he grows back his outstanding mullet from the
1990’s, however. That thing was epic.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 3
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 2
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)