Mar 13, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Seeing a healthy and refreshed Jaromir Jagr playing for the Czech
Republic during the Olympics instantly raised the question of whether he
would be returning to the NHL this summer, after his KHL contract expires.
He’s certainly not the Jagr of just five years ago, but he would be
welcome and needed on a team looking to instantly improve next season
and looking for veteran leadership.
A team like the Edmonton Oilers,
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun — keep the comments to
yourself — mentions that Jagr could be interested in re-teaming with
Oilers assistant coach Tom Renney. But
should Edmonton make such a move?
“I just don’t
know about Jagr. I understand why (the Oilers) want to
make the move, I’m just not sure they should do it. I’m not sure if
there is any gas left in that tank,” said one league executive.
with all of the decisions the Oilers have made in the past year,
signing Jagr would be one heck of a step in the right direction. Sure he’s
not the offensive powerhouse he once was but no one can doubt his
leadership qualities, something that Edmonton is in dire need of moving
forward. The New York Rangers still carry on his tradition of saluting
the fans after every home game.
Personally, I’d love to see Jagr
back in the NHL. Only if he grows back his outstanding mullet from the
1990’s, however. That thing was epic.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 0
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)