Mar 13, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Seeing a healthy and refreshed Jaromir Jagr playing for the Czech
Republic during the Olympics instantly raised the question of whether he
would be returning to the NHL this summer, after his KHL contract expires.
He’s certainly not the Jagr of just five years ago, but he would be
welcome and needed on a team looking to instantly improve next season
and looking for veteran leadership.
A team like the Edmonton Oilers,
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun — keep the comments to
yourself — mentions that Jagr could be interested in re-teaming with
Oilers assistant coach Tom Renney. But
should Edmonton make such a move?
“I just don’t
know about Jagr. I understand why (the Oilers) want to
make the move, I’m just not sure they should do it. I’m not sure if
there is any gas left in that tank,” said one league executive.
with all of the decisions the Oilers have made in the past year,
signing Jagr would be one heck of a step in the right direction. Sure he’s
not the offensive powerhouse he once was but no one can doubt his
leadership qualities, something that Edmonton is in dire need of moving
forward. The New York Rangers still carry on his tradition of saluting
the fans after every home game.
Personally, I’d love to see Jagr
back in the NHL. Only if he grows back his outstanding mullet from the
1990′s, however. That thing was epic.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 0
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 9
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 18
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)