Mar 13, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Seeing a healthy and refreshed Jaromir Jagr playing for the Czech
Republic during the Olympics instantly raised the question of whether he
would be returning to the NHL this summer, after his KHL contract expires.
He’s certainly not the Jagr of just five years ago, but he would be
welcome and needed on a team looking to instantly improve next season
and looking for veteran leadership.
A team like the Edmonton Oilers,
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun — keep the comments to
yourself — mentions that Jagr could be interested in re-teaming with
Oilers assistant coach Tom Renney. But
should Edmonton make such a move?
“I just don’t
know about Jagr. I understand why (the Oilers) want to
make the move, I’m just not sure they should do it. I’m not sure if
there is any gas left in that tank,” said one league executive.
with all of the decisions the Oilers have made in the past year,
signing Jagr would be one heck of a step in the right direction. Sure he’s
not the offensive powerhouse he once was but no one can doubt his
leadership qualities, something that Edmonton is in dire need of moving
forward. The New York Rangers still carry on his tradition of saluting
the fans after every home game.
Personally, I’d love to see Jagr
back in the NHL. Only if he grows back his outstanding mullet from the
1990’s, however. That thing was epic.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)