Mar 13, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Seeing a healthy and refreshed Jaromir Jagr playing for the Czech
Republic during the Olympics instantly raised the question of whether he
would be returning to the NHL this summer, after his KHL contract expires.
He’s certainly not the Jagr of just five years ago, but he would be
welcome and needed on a team looking to instantly improve next season
and looking for veteran leadership.
A team like the Edmonton Oilers,
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun — keep the comments to
yourself — mentions that Jagr could be interested in re-teaming with
Oilers assistant coach Tom Renney. But
should Edmonton make such a move?
“I just don’t
know about Jagr. I understand why (the Oilers) want to
make the move, I’m just not sure they should do it. I’m not sure if
there is any gas left in that tank,” said one league executive.
with all of the decisions the Oilers have made in the past year,
signing Jagr would be one heck of a step in the right direction. Sure he’s
not the offensive powerhouse he once was but no one can doubt his
leadership qualities, something that Edmonton is in dire need of moving
forward. The New York Rangers still carry on his tradition of saluting
the fans after every home game.
Personally, I’d love to see Jagr
back in the NHL. Only if he grows back his outstanding mullet from the
1990’s, however. That thing was epic.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)