Mar 12, 2010, 3:21 PM EDT
The hockey fans in Minnesota deserve better.
The Wild are
sputtering and stumbling towards the end of yet another disappointing
season, and it doesn’t appear that there’s help on the way. After
finishing third in the Western Conference in 2008, the Wild missed the
playoffs by just two points this season and are woefully behind the
curve this year. What about next season? Well, it could get even worse.
already has $45 million locked up in payroll for next season, with six
players facing free agency and five scheduled to be restricted free
agents, including Josh Harding and Guillaume Latendresse. In this
situation, you’d hope that there’s help on the way from the team’s farm
system — that is certainly not the case with Minnesota.
30th by Hockey’s Future in the NHL and 29th by The Hockey News, the Wild
are facing a very dark immediate future. They don’t have the cap space
to re-tool the team with free agents and there aren’t any magical
prospects on their way to save the Wild from mediocrity.
Michael Russo expands on
this point on Twitter, stating that the Wild had just four draft
picks in 2008, no second or third rounders in 2007 and have traded away
one of their top draft picks in Nick Leddy.
What’s even more
frustrating to watch is how the Wild have seemingly just given up the
past two weeks. They’ve lost four games in row, including the offensive
embarrassment against Florida and lost to Detroit last night before
taking on Buffalo tonight. It’s a tough schedule, for certain, but
they’re not even trying to improve.
After the horrid performance
against Florida, the Wild held an optional practice with just nine
players (and not the coach) showing up. The Wild technically were still
in the playoff hunt a week ago and never really seemed interested in
putting up a fight.
This is the team that Minnesota hockey fans
have to live with. I’m betting they still care. I even like to think
that the players on the team still care. But the team as a whole? Not so
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 7
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)