Mar 12, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
I know that we’re all tired about hearing about Sidney Crosby, his
equipment and his ‘snub’ of Letterman last week. Even for the
non-haters, I’m sure it’s getting to be a bit much.
Just one more, but it’s topical.
Molinari answers a reader’s question on whether Crosby’s Olympic
goal will hurt his overall popularity in the United States.
There’s no real precedent for something like this — no player who
was active in the NHL at the time (yes, that includes Peter Forsberg in
1994) has scored an Olympic goal like the one Crosby got in overtime of
the gold-medal game — so there’s no way of being certain how his
treatment by fans in U.S. cities will change, if it does at all.
The guess here is that the U.S. fans who disliked him before the
Olympics will continue to do so, and that those who liked (or, at least,
respected) him going into the Games aren’t going to have their opinion
seriously altered by his championship-clinching goal.
One would like to believe that rational people — and more than a few
fans have proven, with their words and deeds since the Olympics, that
their membership in that group has lapsed — understand that Crosby was
representing his country and wanted to do everything possible to help
his team win the tournament, just as every guy who pulled on a U.S.
Just judging by the comments over the past week on PHT, it’s obvious
that Crosby has a number of hockey fans that don’t like him, and I doubt
that he won many over during the Olympics. At the same time, I really
don’t see how the fact that he scored against the USA in the Olympics
will hurt his popularity in the U.S.; fans who want to hate him, will.
What the U.S. needs is an American superstar who is one of the best
players in the NHL scoring a bunch of points each season. Hmmmm…..
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 54
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 22
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming