Mar 11, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
For my money, Barry Trotz is the most underrated coach in the NHL. He reached his 400th career coaching win – all with the scrappy little Nashville Predators – in a 2-1 victory over the Atlanta Thrashers on Tuesday.
The win seems fitting on a few levels. First, obviously, is the low scoring and defensively stout performance that surely had to please the odd looking coach. But perhaps the most fitting thing about the victory was how lightly regarded the accomplishment was; I just found out about it maybe an hour ago while perusing On the Forecheck.
As a documented meanie, I always feel the need to at least make one joke about Trotz’s appearance even though I’m usually writing something glowing about him. When I wrote about Trotz and Tennessee Titans coach
Mike Jeff Fisher’s atypically long coaching runs, I wondered if Nashville was breeding vampire coaches but also made sure to say that Trotz looks more like a “Dungeons and Dragons” creature than a bloodsucker.
These jokes overshadow a coach whose skills and tenacity allowed him to squeeze all those wins out of a team that gets by more on “pluck” than skill. He’s seen his best players leave through free agency, money saving trades and even – in the case of Alex Radulov – to go to Russia. Trotz has kept the Predators competitive against considerable odds.
So how about this: in a tribute to his 400th win, I’m not going to make fun of Barry Trotz’s appearance anymore. (Or at least I’m going to try really, really hard. Just like coach Trotz would want.)
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 0
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 8
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 23
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)