Mar 11, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Tonight’s schedule is loaded with 10 games, so I’ll spare you a breathless introduction.
Ottawa Senators (37-25-5, 79 pts) at Calgary Flames (33-24-9, 75 pts) 9:30 PM ET
Even though most of their players were able to rest, the Senators probably would’ve loved to keep their pre-Olympics streak going. They’ve been 1-2-1 since everyone came back from Vancouver. Calgary has an opportunity to strengthen their flimsy 8th place lead as every (relevant) team behind them is on at least a 1 game losing streak.
Boston Bruins (29-24-12, 70 pts) at Philadelphia Flyers (35-26-4, 74 pts) 7:00 PM ET
You’d have to either be heartless, a Habs fan or a heartless Habs fan to not sympathize with the Bruins after their Murphy’s law season. It’s pretty easy to root against the Flyers, though, because they’re delightfully devoted to evil.
Jump for the other 8 games
Pittsburgh Penguins (40-22-4, 84 pts) at Carolina Hurricanes (27-31-8, 62 pts) 7:00 PM ET
Matt Cooke was once called the “Cookie Monster.” Now the second part of that nickname will suffice.
Edmonton Oilers (21-39-6, 48 pts) at Montreal Canadiens (33-29-6, 72 pts) 7:00 PM ET
Since it’s so obvious that the Oilers are lottery draft fodder, what is the over/under on “Spoilers” pun headlines?
St. Louis Blues (30-26-9, 69 pts) at New York Islanders (26-32-8, 60 pts) 7:00 PM ET
This game is unremarkable, but I’ll provide two nice words per team: Erik Johnson and John Tavares.
Tampa Bay Lightning (27-27-11, 65 pts) at Toronto Maple Leafs (21-33-12, 54 pts) 7:00 PM ET
Steven Stamkos’ point scoring streak is now at 17 games. Will we see Stamkos in the playoffs this year?
Atlanta Thrashers (28-27-10, 66 pts) at Columbus Blue Jackets (26-30-11, 63 pts) 7:00 PM ET
Rather than rebuilding their franchise with what they don’t have (courage, competence) maybe the Blue Jackets should just make an “Ohio: we’re … pretty close to the East!” presentation. They could probably make the playoffs in Atlanta’s Conference.
Minnesota Wild (31-28-6, 68 pts) at Detroit Red Wings (31-23-12, 74 pts) 7:30 PM ET
You have to really hate the Red Wings to hope they miss the playoffs completely. Conversely, you really have to love the Wild (or Minnesotan accents) to want them to make the playoffs at all.
Florida Panthers (27-28-10, 64 pts) at Colorado Avalanche (37-23-6, 80 pts) 9:00 PM ET
It’s weird to say, but Panthers fans would kill to step into a time machine and go back to that Stanley Cup Finals series where they didn’t have a prayer against the Sakic-Forsberg-Roy Avs.
Nashville Predators (36-25-5, 77 pts) at San Jose Sharks (42-14-9, 93 pts) 10:30 PM ET
On paper this would seem like a big game, but the Sharks are far ahead in the Pacific and the Predators are far behind in the Central. Still, this is the best game that wasn’t a part of “today’s best.”
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 0
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 67
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona