Mar 11, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
Before the insanity surrounding the Matt Cooke hit began, the focus had been on Maxim Lapierre’s hit on Scott Nichol. Lapierre was suspending four games for the late hit, but a lot of the focus was on how there wasn’t a penalty called on the original play despite referee Chris Lee being about 3 feet away and looking right at them.
Tonight, Scott Nichol returns after missing the past week with a shoulder injury, and in his first game back Chris Lee will be officiating the game.
Don’t expect any hard feelings from Nichol towards Lee however.
“Probably not,” Nichol said, laughing, when someone brought that up
after the morning skate. “Everybody makes mistakes. It was funny, it was
a quick play and even guys on our team didn’t see it. I’m just glad I’m
back. One game was enough.”
It’s an odd thing to have a player hurt in such a play have such a positive outlook, but Nichol is harbors no bad feelings at all it seems. He acknowledges it was a careless play, but he also feels it was just the nature of what happens every now and then in the NHL.
It’s refreshing to see a player not seeking vindication, but I’d like Nichol to at least go up to Chris Lee ask just what the heck he saw that led him to not call a penalty.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)