Mar 11, 2010, 7:50 PM EST
Before the insanity surrounding the Matt Cooke hit began, the focus had been on Maxim Lapierre’s hit on Scott Nichol. Lapierre was suspending four games for the late hit, but a lot of the focus was on how there wasn’t a penalty called on the original play despite referee Chris Lee being about 3 feet away and looking right at them.
Tonight, Scott Nichol returns after missing the past week with a shoulder injury, and in his first game back Chris Lee will be officiating the game.
Don’t expect any hard feelings from Nichol towards Lee however.
“Probably not,” Nichol said, laughing, when someone brought that up
after the morning skate. “Everybody makes mistakes. It was funny, it was
a quick play and even guys on our team didn’t see it. I’m just glad I’m
back. One game was enough.”
It’s an odd thing to have a player hurt in such a play have such a positive outlook, but Nichol is harbors no bad feelings at all it seems. He acknowledges it was a careless play, but he also feels it was just the nature of what happens every now and then in the NHL.
It’s refreshing to see a player not seeking vindication, but I’d like Nichol to at least go up to Chris Lee ask just what the heck he saw that led him to not call a penalty.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 1
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 3
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 50
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)