Mar 11, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
Before the insanity surrounding the Matt Cooke hit began, the focus had been on Maxim Lapierre’s hit on Scott Nichol. Lapierre was suspending four games for the late hit, but a lot of the focus was on how there wasn’t a penalty called on the original play despite referee Chris Lee being about 3 feet away and looking right at them.
Tonight, Scott Nichol returns after missing the past week with a shoulder injury, and in his first game back Chris Lee will be officiating the game.
Don’t expect any hard feelings from Nichol towards Lee however.
“Probably not,” Nichol said, laughing, when someone brought that up
after the morning skate. “Everybody makes mistakes. It was funny, it was
a quick play and even guys on our team didn’t see it. I’m just glad I’m
back. One game was enough.”
It’s an odd thing to have a player hurt in such a play have such a positive outlook, but Nichol is harbors no bad feelings at all it seems. He acknowledges it was a careless play, but he also feels it was just the nature of what happens every now and then in the NHL.
It’s refreshing to see a player not seeking vindication, but I’d like Nichol to at least go up to Chris Lee ask just what the heck he saw that led him to not call a penalty.
- Weber’s shot leaves Sens’ Ceci, Anderson reeling 3
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 17
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)