Mar 11, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
This just in: Chris Chelios is old.
“Eight Thrashers were not born when Chelios made his NHL debut. They are – Ondrej Pavelec, Zach Bogosian, Boris Valabik, Evander Kane, Bryan Little, Niclas Bergfors, Tobias Enstrom and Clarke MacArthur.”
By now, you’ve probably read a lot of the “old” jokes (David Staples has a Twitter gallery of them here) or you may have heard a bunch of them already anyway. Let’s face it: Chelios being an old hockey player is so worn out that it’s joined the Exhausted Sports Punchlines club with the likes of Brett Favre’s retirement flip-flopping, the Sharks being playoff chokers and Tiger Woods sexing his way through America’s elite skank ranks.
Aside from the mere fact that he really is that old, it shouldn’t be that surprising that he’s coming back. Chelios is renowned for his maniacal workout regimen and while he ended up being an occasional scratch for the Detroit Red Wings, he could feasibly be an acceptable bottom pairing guy for a weak sister club. You know, like the Thrashers.
So dust off your long-in-the-tooth Chelios quips and enjoy the slow moving show; he’s back against the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight.
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 38
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1