Mar 11, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
This just in: Chris Chelios is old.
“Eight Thrashers were not born when Chelios made his NHL debut. They are – Ondrej Pavelec, Zach Bogosian, Boris Valabik, Evander Kane, Bryan Little, Niclas Bergfors, Tobias Enstrom and Clarke MacArthur.”
By now, you’ve probably read a lot of the “old” jokes (David Staples has a Twitter gallery of them here) or you may have heard a bunch of them already anyway. Let’s face it: Chelios being an old hockey player is so worn out that it’s joined the Exhausted Sports Punchlines club with the likes of Brett Favre’s retirement flip-flopping, the Sharks being playoff chokers and Tiger Woods sexing his way through America’s elite skank ranks.
Aside from the mere fact that he really is that old, it shouldn’t be that surprising that he’s coming back. Chelios is renowned for his maniacal workout regimen and while he ended up being an occasional scratch for the Detroit Red Wings, he could feasibly be an acceptable bottom pairing guy for a weak sister club. You know, like the Thrashers.
So dust off your long-in-the-tooth Chelios quips and enjoy the slow moving show; he’s back against the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5