Mar 11, 2010, 9:54 AM EST
It’s not outside the realm of possibility but it’s still a long shot.
With 16 games
left to go in the season and already at the 75 point mark, Patrick
Kane has a chance of becoming the first Blackhawks player to have 100
points in a season since Jeremy Roenick did so 17 years ago.
course, that would mean Sharp would have to average almost two points a
night to beat that record. That’s ridiculous, right?
“I’d by lying to you to say I wouldn’t be thinking about
it,” Kane said. “You do think about it, about having a good stretch.
But if you worry about that too much it sinks in a little bit and you
don’t play as well.
“For me personally, I just have to worry about playing
the game hard and trying to make something happen and be determined to
make something happen every shift. Then that stuff will taker care of
Kane is already at a career high in the midst of an
exceptional season with the Blackhawks. Whether or not he hits 100
points is entirely irrelevant, but perhaps the chase will give him some
extra push as the regular season draws to a close. I know that
individual awards and accolades shouldn’t affect how a player performs,
but we all know that’s the case.
Good for him if he makes it, and it would certainly take
a remarkable run to get there. But I bet anything I have that
Blackhawks fans would much rather their team be playing as best they
could — as a team — against focusing on an individual points mark for
Kane. The good news is that Kane’s success in the chase will directly
and positively impact the team’s performance overall.
So what do I know. Maybe individual goals are
good for the team.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)