Mar 11, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT
It’s not outside the realm of possibility but it’s still a long shot.
With 16 games
left to go in the season and already at the 75 point mark, Patrick
Kane has a chance of becoming the first Blackhawks player to have 100
points in a season since Jeremy Roenick did so 17 years ago.
course, that would mean Sharp would have to average almost two points a
night to beat that record. That’s ridiculous, right?
“I’d by lying to you to say I wouldn’t be thinking about
it,” Kane said. “You do think about it, about having a good stretch.
But if you worry about that too much it sinks in a little bit and you
don’t play as well.
“For me personally, I just have to worry about playing
the game hard and trying to make something happen and be determined to
make something happen every shift. Then that stuff will taker care of
Kane is already at a career high in the midst of an
exceptional season with the Blackhawks. Whether or not he hits 100
points is entirely irrelevant, but perhaps the chase will give him some
extra push as the regular season draws to a close. I know that
individual awards and accolades shouldn’t affect how a player performs,
but we all know that’s the case.
Good for him if he makes it, and it would certainly take
a remarkable run to get there. But I bet anything I have that
Blackhawks fans would much rather their team be playing as best they
could — as a team — against focusing on an individual points mark for
Kane. The good news is that Kane’s success in the chase will directly
and positively impact the team’s performance overall.
So what do I know. Maybe individual goals are
good for the team.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 13
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 59
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 7
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional