Mar 11, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT
It’s not outside the realm of possibility but it’s still a long shot.
With 16 games
left to go in the season and already at the 75 point mark, Patrick
Kane has a chance of becoming the first Blackhawks player to have 100
points in a season since Jeremy Roenick did so 17 years ago.
course, that would mean Sharp would have to average almost two points a
night to beat that record. That’s ridiculous, right?
“I’d by lying to you to say I wouldn’t be thinking about
it,” Kane said. “You do think about it, about having a good stretch.
But if you worry about that too much it sinks in a little bit and you
don’t play as well.
“For me personally, I just have to worry about playing
the game hard and trying to make something happen and be determined to
make something happen every shift. Then that stuff will taker care of
Kane is already at a career high in the midst of an
exceptional season with the Blackhawks. Whether or not he hits 100
points is entirely irrelevant, but perhaps the chase will give him some
extra push as the regular season draws to a close. I know that
individual awards and accolades shouldn’t affect how a player performs,
but we all know that’s the case.
Good for him if he makes it, and it would certainly take
a remarkable run to get there. But I bet anything I have that
Blackhawks fans would much rather their team be playing as best they
could — as a team — against focusing on an individual points mark for
Kane. The good news is that Kane’s success in the chase will directly
and positively impact the team’s performance overall.
So what do I know. Maybe individual goals are
good for the team.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6