Mar 11, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT
It’s not outside the realm of possibility but it’s still a long shot.
With 16 games
left to go in the season and already at the 75 point mark, Patrick
Kane has a chance of becoming the first Blackhawks player to have 100
points in a season since Jeremy Roenick did so 17 years ago.
course, that would mean Sharp would have to average almost two points a
night to beat that record. That’s ridiculous, right?
“I’d by lying to you to say I wouldn’t be thinking about
it,” Kane said. “You do think about it, about having a good stretch.
But if you worry about that too much it sinks in a little bit and you
don’t play as well.
“For me personally, I just have to worry about playing
the game hard and trying to make something happen and be determined to
make something happen every shift. Then that stuff will taker care of
Kane is already at a career high in the midst of an
exceptional season with the Blackhawks. Whether or not he hits 100
points is entirely irrelevant, but perhaps the chase will give him some
extra push as the regular season draws to a close. I know that
individual awards and accolades shouldn’t affect how a player performs,
but we all know that’s the case.
Good for him if he makes it, and it would certainly take
a remarkable run to get there. But I bet anything I have that
Blackhawks fans would much rather their team be playing as best they
could — as a team — against focusing on an individual points mark for
Kane. The good news is that Kane’s success in the chase will directly
and positively impact the team’s performance overall.
So what do I know. Maybe individual goals are
good for the team.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)