Mar 11, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Every once in a while, we’ll come across stories that are just too strange to pass up. Sometimes we’ll get a tip from an e-mail; sometimes will stumble across something bizarre on a hockey site. Either way, this might not be the most “pertinent” information but it certainly will be strange.
Oregon senatorial candidate Marc Delphine will be known for a handful of things. He’s the first openly gay man to run for the U.S. Senate in the state of Oregon. Delphine is a Libertarian who, sadly, will also be known for several failed political campaigns.
For hockey fans, though, the politician will be the guy who (unwittingly) featured a barely-altered version of the Columbus Blue Jackets logo to promote his campaign. Delphine claimed that an intern named Aaron “created” the logo. Although Delphine said he is a sports fan, he obviously isn’t a big fan of hockey.
“… Had he been, maybe the Libertarian who wants to replace Democrat Ron Wyden would have realized his campaign logo looks awfully similar to the one used by an NHL team from Columbus, Ohio.
Instead, the revelation occurred Wednesday on the blogosphere, where it caught the attention of the Blue Jackets and league officials. Then the logo disappeared from Delphine’s Internet materials faster than a Sidney Crosby slap shot.”
I would have gone with “faster than a Zdeno Chara slap shot”, but that’s just me. Apparently, the Blue Jackets aren’t expected to seek legal action for the blunder since the logo was quickly taken down. So while the situation must have embarrassed Delphine quite a bit, it could have been much worse.
Hopefully he’ll be able to laugh with us soon enough.
(H/T to Puck Daddy.)
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 5
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 43
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 18
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13