Mar 11, 2010, 1:15 PM EST
Every once in a while, we’ll come across stories that are just too strange to pass up. Sometimes we’ll get a tip from an e-mail; sometimes will stumble across something bizarre on a hockey site. Either way, this might not be the most “pertinent” information but it certainly will be strange.
Oregon senatorial candidate Marc Delphine will be known for a handful of things. He’s the first openly gay man to run for the U.S. Senate in the state of Oregon. Delphine is a Libertarian who, sadly, will also be known for several failed political campaigns.
For hockey fans, though, the politician will be the guy who (unwittingly) featured a barely-altered version of the Columbus Blue Jackets logo to promote his campaign. Delphine claimed that an intern named Aaron “created” the logo. Although Delphine said he is a sports fan, he obviously isn’t a big fan of hockey.
“… Had he been, maybe the Libertarian who wants to replace Democrat Ron Wyden would have realized his campaign logo looks awfully similar to the one used by an NHL team from Columbus, Ohio.
Instead, the revelation occurred Wednesday on the blogosphere, where it caught the attention of the Blue Jackets and league officials. Then the logo disappeared from Delphine’s Internet materials faster than a Sidney Crosby slap shot.”
I would have gone with “faster than a Zdeno Chara slap shot”, but that’s just me. Apparently, the Blue Jackets aren’t expected to seek legal action for the blunder since the logo was quickly taken down. So while the situation must have embarrassed Delphine quite a bit, it could have been much worse.
Hopefully he’ll be able to laugh with us soon enough.
(H/T to Puck Daddy.)
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)