Mar 11, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Every once in a while, we’ll come across stories that are just too strange to pass up. Sometimes we’ll get a tip from an e-mail; sometimes will stumble across something bizarre on a hockey site. Either way, this might not be the most “pertinent” information but it certainly will be strange.
Oregon senatorial candidate Marc Delphine will be known for a handful of things. He’s the first openly gay man to run for the U.S. Senate in the state of Oregon. Delphine is a Libertarian who, sadly, will also be known for several failed political campaigns.
For hockey fans, though, the politician will be the guy who (unwittingly) featured a barely-altered version of the Columbus Blue Jackets logo to promote his campaign. Delphine claimed that an intern named Aaron “created” the logo. Although Delphine said he is a sports fan, he obviously isn’t a big fan of hockey.
“… Had he been, maybe the Libertarian who wants to replace Democrat Ron Wyden would have realized his campaign logo looks awfully similar to the one used by an NHL team from Columbus, Ohio.
Instead, the revelation occurred Wednesday on the blogosphere, where it caught the attention of the Blue Jackets and league officials. Then the logo disappeared from Delphine’s Internet materials faster than a Sidney Crosby slap shot.”
I would have gone with “faster than a Zdeno Chara slap shot”, but that’s just me. Apparently, the Blue Jackets aren’t expected to seek legal action for the blunder since the logo was quickly taken down. So while the situation must have embarrassed Delphine quite a bit, it could have been much worse.
Hopefully he’ll be able to laugh with us soon enough.
(H/T to Puck Daddy.)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 22
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 10
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)