Mar 11, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Every once in a while, we’ll come across stories that are just too strange to pass up. Sometimes we’ll get a tip from an e-mail; sometimes will stumble across something bizarre on a hockey site. Either way, this might not be the most “pertinent” information but it certainly will be strange.
Oregon senatorial candidate Marc Delphine will be known for a handful of things. He’s the first openly gay man to run for the U.S. Senate in the state of Oregon. Delphine is a Libertarian who, sadly, will also be known for several failed political campaigns.
For hockey fans, though, the politician will be the guy who (unwittingly) featured a barely-altered version of the Columbus Blue Jackets logo to promote his campaign. Delphine claimed that an intern named Aaron “created” the logo. Although Delphine said he is a sports fan, he obviously isn’t a big fan of hockey.
“… Had he been, maybe the Libertarian who wants to replace Democrat Ron Wyden would have realized his campaign logo looks awfully similar to the one used by an NHL team from Columbus, Ohio.
Instead, the revelation occurred Wednesday on the blogosphere, where it caught the attention of the Blue Jackets and league officials. Then the logo disappeared from Delphine’s Internet materials faster than a Sidney Crosby slap shot.”
I would have gone with “faster than a Zdeno Chara slap shot”, but that’s just me. Apparently, the Blue Jackets aren’t expected to seek legal action for the blunder since the logo was quickly taken down. So while the situation must have embarrassed Delphine quite a bit, it could have been much worse.
Hopefully he’ll be able to laugh with us soon enough.
(H/T to Puck Daddy.)
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)