Mar 11, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Every once in a while, we’ll come across stories that are just too strange to pass up. Sometimes we’ll get a tip from an e-mail; sometimes will stumble across something bizarre on a hockey site. Either way, this might not be the most “pertinent” information but it certainly will be strange.
Oregon senatorial candidate Marc Delphine will be known for a handful of things. He’s the first openly gay man to run for the U.S. Senate in the state of Oregon. Delphine is a Libertarian who, sadly, will also be known for several failed political campaigns.
For hockey fans, though, the politician will be the guy who (unwittingly) featured a barely-altered version of the Columbus Blue Jackets logo to promote his campaign. Delphine claimed that an intern named Aaron “created” the logo. Although Delphine said he is a sports fan, he obviously isn’t a big fan of hockey.
“… Had he been, maybe the Libertarian who wants to replace Democrat Ron Wyden would have realized his campaign logo looks awfully similar to the one used by an NHL team from Columbus, Ohio.
Instead, the revelation occurred Wednesday on the blogosphere, where it caught the attention of the Blue Jackets and league officials. Then the logo disappeared from Delphine’s Internet materials faster than a Sidney Crosby slap shot.”
I would have gone with “faster than a Zdeno Chara slap shot”, but that’s just me. Apparently, the Blue Jackets aren’t expected to seek legal action for the blunder since the logo was quickly taken down. So while the situation must have embarrassed Delphine quite a bit, it could have been much worse.
Hopefully he’ll be able to laugh with us soon enough.
(H/T to Puck Daddy.)
- Report: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 4
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 59
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 33
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 56
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 14
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 30
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save